Similar thread

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by dukebound85, Dec 9, 2009.

1. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

I joined AVS forums and like a feature they have. When you create a thread, it then gives you a list of similar threads based on the topic you entered

I would love for this to be implemented on MR as it would reduce redundancy

Thoughts?

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

While that sounds extremely logical, I have faith that the redundant threads would persist.

3. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

True but it is really cool and would prevent members (such as myself for instance) making redundant threads lol

After you enter the title, a box of like 5 or so similar threads pop up underneath the title and advise looking at some of them before creating a new thread

If they dont answer, you just make a thread as you do here

4. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Definitely. Some members can't even see that the thread they've just created was answered right below theirs on the same page.

5. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I would hope that some of the more experienced members would in fact search before posting, just like the rules say and the box that shows up when you attempt to create a new thread. Maybe that's just me being too optimistic.

Then again this thread tells me that no matter what happens, who it is or what the topic is - redundant threads will just happen.

I mean, yeah...perhaps that feature means 1% of redundant threads stop showing up. But we are still going to have 55 iPhone 4G threads regarding release date.

6. techfreak85 macrumors 68040

techfreak85

Redundant threads would persist, but it would cut down I think it would cut things down a bit if it was well implemented...aka you would have to be really oblivious to not see the similar threads thing.

7. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

It is a helpful tool that would only further help with the rules. Why not utilize it? It would be an improvement

We preach searching yet some don't. This tool would just make searching "live" when you type a thread title which I think is a great thing

Basis? or just speculating lol

8. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

What -aggie- says is true. The fact is that it's a whole lot easier to just make a thread, be chewed about by a couple of users and get the information. Then it is to use the search feature or MRoogle.

Sometimes even I struggle to find a thread that I know exists via MRoogle - so perhaps people do search and nothing shows up or perhaps people are lazy.

It would help. It could also dissuade some users from using the Search Feature or MRoogle in favor of "live searching." I would imagine this would mean that any thread that has a title that is not representative to the details of the content - it would not find it.

There will be six or seven threads regarding the new iPhone, and yet we still have users making new threads daily about it.

9. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

Which is all the more reason why this feature would be nice as it blatantly shows you similar threads

Before you knock it, you should go see what I am talking about lol

10. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

goldenmackid just wants more opportunities to paste his external hard drive post into another reply. Be skeptical of his motives!