Similar to Henge Dock

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by skippymac, Oct 3, 2012.

1. skippymac macrumors 6502a

skippymac

Hi all,

I'd like to know if there is a product similar to a henge dock, with all the connectors for a macbook pro, but without having to actually "dock" it as it were.

Basically I want to put my laptop on an mstand and be able to plug in my display, usb, firewire, ethernet, magsafe and audio all at the same time.

If nothing's available, would it be possible to mod a henge dock?

Obviously this isn't a necessary product as it would only save a few seconds, but it would be nice if something's available/easy to hack together :)

regards

2. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

If you want a simple vertical stand, it is hard to beat a Bookarc from Twelvesouth. Mine came with insert #5 installed for a classic MBP. In the box was insert #7 for a Retina MBP. It only took a few second to swap out the inserts. Connect the cables of your choice (FW, USB, thunderbolt, hdmi, start up the MBP and close it for clam shell mode. Put the running MBP into the silicone insert and you are ready to go. Just use sleep mode at night so you don't have to open the MBP to start it in the morning.

http://twelvesouth.com/products/bookarc/

3. skippymac thread starter macrumors 6502a

skippymac

Sorry, I may not have explained well... I want to have my laptop open, connected to a display so I have 2 displays. What I want is something to quickly connect all my peripherals without plugging/unplugging loads of cables each time.

There may be no easy way round this in which case I'll live with it, but if there is some kind of multifunction hub which includes firewire 800 and usb2.0 and connects via FW, or something like the henge dock without the stand capabilities then that would be great.

I suppose I could just plug my FW hard drive in using usb and have one usb dock plus minidp-hdmi connector but then slower transfer speeds blah blah...

Alternatively I could stop being such a lazy ****** and just plug 4-5 cables in each time I want to use it as a desktop :L

4. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

I do not remember seeing a one-stop-shopping horizontal stand/dock that plugs in cables for you. The current choices seem to be a vertical dock like Henge that does not let you use the keyboard and screen....or.....a horizontal stand where you have plug in the cables. The MBPs just don't do a big docking port on the bottom like lots of portable PCs did years ago.

5. iAppl3Fan macrumors 6502a

iAppl3Fan

Yes, only one product on the market that does what you're asking. Its the  Thunderbolt Display and its awesome.

6. nebc100 macrumors newbie

This might help

Hello,

Have you looked at the Bookendz stands.

I think that this is the type of thing that you are looking for, BUT they are very expensive!!