simple airport question

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by 11miles, Dec 21, 2008.

1. 11miles macrumors member

i posted a problem before, that nobody responded to.

i think it was my way of explaining...
    hope i get it better this time...

I live in a rented apartment. THe landlord is a great guy. but wants to have his internet secure.
    So instead of having a wireless access with a simple password he has it locked for outside use.
    By locked i mean i tell him my computers MAC address and off we go.

i had a hp laptop that had the MAC adrress written on tha back of the battery pack.
    My iphone was no problem at all aswell.

Getting my MBP to work on this wireless is a problem.

I gave him the Airport ID twice, and still i cant access the router/wireless/internet.

Am i supposed to gave him the Ethernet ID?

please help,

TIA, matt

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

You are supposed to give him the Airport MAC address not the fixed one. It should be of the form 01:23:45:67:89:ab

FWIW MAC address filtering is totally insecure, he'd be much much better off with WPA (or WPA2).

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

You need to give him the AirPort MAC address.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

No, you want the MAC of the Airport, not the ethernet ... the one that sys prefs -> network -> Airport gives you. You're doing that much right.

Hmmm... is the situation that it connects but does not work? Or is it that it refuses to connect? If it actually makes a non-functional connection, what kind of IP address does it give you, and have you tried to use the network diagnostics to see where it's failing?

5. 11miles thread starter macrumors member

i see the name of the network but when connecting it says connection failed.

like i said, it works perfectly with my iphone.

so i gave him the right address, the Airport ID.
    am wondering what coudl be wrong then?The guy works as a support officer in a cable TV company so i trust him. I dont know much about security with this type of connection, the thing is that he had trouble with some previous people renting... Abusing the routers and internet...

TIA, best