simple app for assigning star to iTunes?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by scooterguitar, Jan 5, 2011.

1. scooterguitar macrumors regular

I've decided I need some sort of tagging system to...
    have iTunes playing and then something on the toolbar or whatnot to simply click and give a star rating, or even more simple...a yes or no option...to help me eventually develop playlists. To be noted, I use front row a lot for playing itunes, but can stop if there is a simple app that can help me with the above.
    Thanks for any suggestions

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You mean something like right-clicking the iTunes icon on the Dock to give the currently playing song a rating?
    ScreenCap 2.PNG

3. scooterguitar thread starter macrumors regular

Similar, that's what I've been using.
    I'd rather just have the yes/no option to send to two lists, then do the manual rating. In an ideal setting, being able to use the apple remote to do it:D

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Why not simply use one star for one list and two stars for the second list. You can then easily sort and add each to a playlist, or create a smart playlist that will capture songs with the appropriate rating?
    Now you're just being greedy! :D

5. scooterguitar thread starter macrumors regular

Ha, I know!

I might try that, GG.

I know there is an app (likely lots more) that might be easier for the initial rating...AutoRate, that penalizes songs skipped. Any clue if so?
    And with that, again in an ideal world..if using an app like that, have the ability to assign time lengths before being skipped would be AWESOME:eek:
    say instant skip, zero rating
    plays for 30 secs. 1 star
    plays for one minute, 2 star,
    etc...

6. GGJstudios, Jan 5, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2011

GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Doug's AppleScripts for iTunes is a great resource for managing your iTunes tags and files. They might have something close to what you need.

7. scooterguitar thread starter macrumors regular

8. TreoRenegade macrumors regular

9. Nanook macrumors regular

Nanook

Butler lets you rate the currently playing song with a keyboard shortcut, as well as other very useful things, and probably by other mouse gestures that I don't use.