simple applescript/terminal question

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by harleytat, Mar 24, 2010.

1. harleytat macrumors newbie

I have a Drobo to which I backup five drives using SuperDuper as sparsebundles. I also regularly compact the sparsebundles using a simple Applescript that looks like this:

Code:
    do shell script "hdiutil compact /Volumes/Drobo/'Drive 1.sparsebundle'"

do shell script "hdiutil compact /Volumes/Drobo/'Drive 2.sparsebundle'"

etc...
    However, I'd rather use grep/wildcards to compact EVERY sparsebundle on my Drobo, as I sometimes temporarily backup client drives to the Drobo as well. When I do "hdiutil compact /Volumes/Drobo/*.sparsebundle," the compact fails, as the terminal is trying to compact all of them simultaneously (which makes sense).

My question: Is it possible to write a single terminal command that sequentially compacts all sparsebundles on a drive?

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Yes.

Oh, so you wanted a hint rather than the direct question answered? A combination if ls, xargs and your hdiutil command should do it.

3. harleytat thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, Robbie, for the clue--but I'll take the full answer if you got it! :)

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Well as I don't have a similar environment to test your code in this is just typed straight into the reply box: it might well not work.

Code:
    ls -1 /Volumes/Drobo/*.sparsebundle | xargs -IREP hdiutil compact /Volumes/Drobo/REP

5. mysterytramp macrumors 65816

mysterytramp

And this might work, too:

Code:
    set bundleList to list files of "/Volumes/Drobo/"

repeat with bl in bundleList

do shell script "hdiutil compact /Volumes/Drobo/" & (quoted form of (bl as string))

end repeat
    mt