Simple astronomy software

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Morod, Jan 26, 2008.

1. Morod macrumors 68000

Morod

Hi,
    Can anyone recommend a simple to use astronomy program for the iMac? On my old PC I had a program from Starry Night that I obtained through the StarGazer guy for $1. It basically showed the sky, stars, constellations, etc. from anywhere in the USA. I liked that program because I could figure out how to use it. I think highly of Starry Night software. Their simplest software, Complete Space & Astronomy Pack, may even be too advanced for me. I'd hate to spend $50 and not be able to figure it out. So, any ideas? Thanks for your help/advice!
    Morod

2. lsmeteor macrumors newbie

There is always an X11 application called Stellarium that you can try. It is freeware. Just do a search for Stellarium, it also exists for Mac OSX. You can download at multiple sites. I just don't have one off the top my head right now but it is easy to find.

3. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

If you figured out Starry Night on WinTel, then why don't you think you can figure it out on the Mac?

If you want to explore other options, then you should look here and there. Pay particular attention to Equinox and Stellarium. The latter is opensource so you can't beat its price.

4. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Stellarium is excellent ... it amazes me that it's free, it's that good.

5. Morod thread starter macrumors 68000

Morod

I'm sorry I didn't elaborate. The Starry Night version I had on the PC was titled 2.1. It was very simple. And I probably could figure out the Space & Astronomy Pack, but I think it's far more than I need.
    Thanks to all for your suggestions. I will check out Stellarium.
    Morod

6. Morod thread starter macrumors 68000

Morod

Thanks again, everybody.
    I checked out the Stellarium and it was fine, especially for the price. I wound up going with the Starry Night Complete Space & Astronomy Pack. It may be way more than I need, but then it could be exactly what I'm looking for!
    Morod