Simple Automator question in Lion to make Folder Action

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by Poncho, Aug 26, 2011.

1. Poncho macrumors 6502

Poncho

Driving me bonkers! Just want to build a simple Automator folder action such that when I drop a file into a designated folder a blank email will be launched with the file attached to it.

Thing is, I have managed to do it once, but can't repeat it. I think I chose folder action as my starting place and then dragged over Get Finder items, then New Mail Message, then Add Attachment to Front Mail Message. Then somehow I managed to save it as a Workflow.

Somehow!...

Using lion, so sometimes I get Save as version and can't save as Workflow.

In short, can someone who has successfully done this just talk me through the three or four simple steps please?

2. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Have you considered right-clicking a file, going to Services, then clicking New Email With Attachment?

3. Poncho, Aug 27, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2011

Poncho thread starter macrumors 6502

Poncho

Thanks for the reply. I use a special RSI mouse. I am trying to reduce numbers of clicks I make. So what I have done is make an action that exports pages from a program I use everyday into a pdf, which only requires one click. The pdf is saved into a folder I have called 'PDFs to send'. As soon as the pdf lands in that folder a new mail message is launched, pre-filed with my bosses email address, and which has the new pdf attached to it.

I have it working!

But now cannot repeat the steps to make another folder that will act the same.

EDIT: Problem solved. It was just that the little Action won't work in Automator itself. Once I quite Automator, the Folder Action (stored in My name/ Library/ Workflows) sprung into Action.