Simple Backup

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Bodhi395, Nov 28, 2010.

1. Bodhi395 macrumors 6502a

I want to find a simple solution to backing up my photos, music, and movies. I don't want to use TIme Machine, because its not the type of simple back up I want, as it backs up everything. I use Aperture and like the way it backs things up through 'vaults' onto a second drive. I wish iTunes had something like it. What I'd like to do is have all my music and movies in my iTunes library, and then have a program that will keep a copy of that folder on a second drive, and then make regular backups of that folder of any new files I've added to it. Anyone know of a simple program that will do that?

2. mattyb240 macrumors 6502a

Carbon Copy Cloner will do all you want and more.

3. miknos macrumors 6502a

miknos

Can you backup (synchronize) specific files instead of the whole HD?

I just want to copy a few files inside my HD (address book, bookmarks, etc) to DropBox folder (which is inside the HD too).

4. simsaladimbamba

Yes, Time Machine and Carbon Copy Cloner allow to only back up selected files, TM via exclusion and CCC via inclusion.

5. Fishrrman macrumors G3

"What I'd like to do is have all my music and movies in my iTunes library, and then have a program that will keep a copy of that folder on a second drive, and then make regular backups of that folder of any new files I've added to it. Anyone know of a simple program that will do that?"

CarbonCopyCloner is what you want.

It will create a bootable clone of your internal drive -- as close to an "exact copy" as you can get. It will also incrementally update that backup to keep it current with the source. (you have to set it up to do incremental backups, but it's easy to do)

And you can boot from the backup to do maintenance on your "main" drive.

The link for it is in post #2 of this thread.

6. Bodhi395 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Carbon copy cloner worked great, good recommendation. I set up a copy of my iTunes folder only on my external drive, and set a weekly incremental backup of that folder.