Simple Beginner's Question about Final Cut Studio 2...

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by kdum8, Oct 5, 2008.

1. kdum8 macrumors 6502a

kdum8

The Question:

Is Final Cut Studio 2 to iMovie what Aperture is to iPhoto?

Basically I am making some promotional DVDs for my company with footage we shot ourselves and iMovie doesn't offer all of the editing options we require. I made a similar transition from iPhoto to Aperture, and although it took some time to get used to Aperture's complexity, it was well worth the time invested. I would be looking to run Final Cut Studio on the latest MBP with 4GB RAM.

Thanks in advance. And forgive my rookie questions.

2. miiles macrumors regular

Final Cut Express can really handle a lot of the basics, so look at that too. Final Cut Studio 6 is really powerful and will be way over the top if you dont know how to use it.

3. kdum8 thread starter macrumors 6502a

kdum8

Thanks I will check out FCE. Is it just a trimmed downed version of Final Cut Studio?

4. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

It's a trimmed down version of Final Cut Pro. Final Cut Studio is composed of Final Cut Pro, DVD Studio Pro, Color, Motion, Soundtrack Pro, Compressor and LiveType.

Lethal

5. NeoMayhem macrumors 6502a

For a beginner, FCE has almost everything you will need. It is a great way to learn about video editing before moving up to the pro version.

6. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

Watch it though. Final Cut Express doesn't have a way to make DVD's from scratch so you will have to use something like iDVD for that. FCE is just for editing. Unfortunately, you can't buy DVD Studio Pro separately.

P-Worm

7. kdum8 thread starter macrumors 6502a

kdum8

That's worth knowing, thanks. Seems I will have to see what iDVD can do but from what I remember it is fairly basic. I have never used DVD Studio Pro but I imagine it is good software. If I want it I have to get the whole Studio package then?

8. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

DVD Studio Pro is bundled with Final Cut Studio and that is the only way to get it. You might want to look into other DVD authoring programs though I don't know any off the top of my head (DVD Studio Pro always did the job for me, and I saw no need to look into anything else).

P-Worm

9. NRose8989 macrumors 6502a

BTW the learning curve from iMovie to Final Cut is much greater then iPhoto to Aperture.

Final Cut Express 4 itself has a 1100 page manual, and this isn't including livetype.

10. tcgjeukens macrumors regular

tcgjeukens

kdum8,

When making a choice between FCE or FCS do take a look at the video camera you will use for shooting your clips.
    FCE has limited timeline-native-compression support. Meaning that your source material may me converted from camera native to Apple Intermediate Codec on import.
    FCS support practically every (100+) codec, making conversion unnecessary.

If CONTROL over quality of your material is important to you and your audience, you contemplate the extra expenditure for FCS.
    - No need to convert on import
    - Full control in exporting final result to DVD (via Compressor)
    - Greenfield creativity in creating DVDs (via DVD Studio)

Note: all that control does "consume" a lot of your time :rolleyes:

Good luck

Coen