Simple Blog

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by Me1000, Mar 26, 2009.

1. Me1000 macrumors 68000

Me1000

I'm looking to setup a quick blog. I don't need something with a bunch of features, not necessarily even comments. The biggest thing is that I can skin it quickly, and easily.

I know everyone is probably going to suggest wordpress, but I think wordpress might be overkill. I don't need categories, plugin support, or anything like that.

Anyone had any experience with anything good and lightweight?

Thanks,
    :apple:

2. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

Try Rapidweaver, it looks great and is very easy to use because it requires very little coding knowledge. IMHO I think this would be the best and cheapest option, but also try iWeb it does have some nice and easy to use Blog themes.

Rapidweaver

3. Me1000 thread starter macrumors 68000

Me1000

Sorry, I didn't anticipate that answer...

I have no problem setting up and coding a blog. To be honest I would rather write my own blog software, I just don't have the time to set it up like I want...

Another stipulation would be that it must be free.

I need something that has its administration through the browser. Software like MarsEdit, RapidWeaver, iWeb, etc. are not really my market.

:)

4. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

5. Me1000 thread starter macrumors 68000

Me1000

Thank you,
    Sbut that's still way more than what I'm looking for.
    The blog won't be a site in itself, it will be a blog for a site.

I've found Chyrp (http://chyrp.net/) which looks to be a little very similar to what I'm looking for.

Anyone used it or heard anything about it?

6. feuerschlange macrumors regular

As you use a Mac, most likely a copy of iWeb is around?

Try it, I use it too - its extremely easy with some limitations though.

7. ryanjm27 macrumors newbie

I know you said you don't want to use WordPress, but I have to ask, why not?

You said you want something easy to set up and easy to reskin. Wordpress is both of those things. A hell of a lot easier to reskin than a Drupal or Joomla site, that's for sure.

Just my 2 cents, I guess.

I also suggest you check out MODx if you haven't already. Super easy to work with if you can get your hands dirty with XHTML/CSS and PHP. It has some blogging extensions built in and though I've never used them personally, I hear good things.

8. Got Josh? macrumors member

If you're interested in learning a new programming language as well, ruby on rail's campaign for proving how easy it is, it's currently the feature to create a blog in 15 minutes. It's a 15 minute video explaining everything, I'm planning on doing it myself for learning the language very soon, if you do decide to try it out let me know :)

http://media.rubyonrails.org/video/rails_blog_2.mov

9. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I would also suggest wordpress. It's really not that complicated, and while it might be "overkill" it's much easier to modify (or create your own) themes than to wrestle with blogger or something like that. I don't have experience with Joomla or any of the others though, so those might be more what you're looking for.

10. vivithemage macrumors 6502a

vivithemage