Simple CD copy

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by dpuckett, Aug 19, 2008.

1. dpuckett macrumors newbie

I should be embarrassed for having to ask this but I have 2 superdrives in my Mac Pro and I want to do a straight copy of a simple CD from one drive directly to the other but I cant seem to find how to do it without having to create an image first. How do I accomplish this?

2. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

See attachment... it's also in your "Help" tab.
    Alternatively buy a copy of Toast.

Attached Files:

3. dpuckett thread starter macrumors newbie

While I really do appreciate the help. Neither of those allowed me do do a direct CD to CD copy without creating an image first. Are you saying its just not possible without a third party application?

4. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

They tell you to make the image for when you have just one drive. You could just drag the tracks from one disc to the other, then click burn.

Or use Disk Utility to duplicate disc or restore the blank disk from the first disc.

TEG

5. dpuckett thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried the restore from the original volume as source and drive with blank cd as destination but the restore button stays greyed out.

6. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

In all honesty, I don't use the Apple's software for creating any type of media disc, no matter how simple it may appear, it just doesn't offer the facilities I need. I can tell you it definitely doesn't support Blu-Ray.. Though being persistent, a little persevere could go a long long way!! I'm pretty sure it's possible... but i haven't tried it myself.

If you don't wanna buy commercial software, maybe some shareware might help? I know many users here would suggest and recommend SuperDuper. Again I can't tell you can it or will it duplicate a cd/dvd-rom.

Good luck!! ;)

7. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

just put in the blank CD and choose open Finder in the dialogue window that opens then put in the data CD and in Finder just drag the data to the blank CD (it will show aliases, but dont worry it will make copies while burning) and then click burn in the toolbar.

8. dpuckett thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, that worked. Not as intuitive as I would have liked but I learned something new. Thanks.

This raises another question tho. What if I needed to burn a bootable CD. I would assume I would have to go the image route to get the MBR or use Toast.

9. ThirteenXIII macrumors 6502a

basically the steps in Post 2 can do that aswell.