simple, cheap cloth pouch w/drawstring for iPhone 4?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by cwerdna, Jul 6, 2010.

1. cwerdna macrumors 6502

My pre-ordered iPhone 4 finally has been shipped out from China and is coming in the next few days (upgrade from my 1.5 year old iPhone 3G). I'm looking for just a simple cheap, drawstring pouch that will prevent the phone and screen from getting scratches that adds little thickness (and of course, not scratch up the phone).

Ideally, it's be exactly like the soft thin drawstring pouch that came w/my T-Mobile myTouch (aka HTC G2 aka Magic). See http://www.engadget.com/photos/t-mobile-mytouch-3g-gets-unboxed1/#2102226. I went to an Fry's, Target, AT&T store, Best Buy and T-Mobile store to find something like this, to no avail.

AT&T has never carried cloth cases. Best Buy's closest were some camera cases that were way too thick. Fry's didn't have anything helpful either but I forgot to check their camera department before they closed. Target sorta had what I wanted but the designs and colors were feminine. (I'm a guy.)

At T-Mobile, the sales rep thought he had one in the back he could give me for free but couldn't find any, upon looking. While waiting, I noticed a pack of 4 (http://www.t-mobile.com/shop/AddOns...4e27-95a9-e2571d1e8577&inCart=True&catCode=21 or http://www.t-mobile.com/images/png/products/accessories/SUP3M33166/SUP3M33166-large.png) on the shelf which he didn't even realize, but it was $20 for a pack of 4 and I really don't need 4 nor do I care about the 3 other colors.

Can anyone suggest a B & M store that might have what I'm looking for or a place online to get one cheap, including shipping?

(I was thinking of Zagg Invisible Shield but after 2.5 years of it on my 5.5 gen iPod Classic, the edges are cruddy and collecting black junk underneath them.)

2. thetonyclifton macrumors regular

Have you tried etsy.com ? You will probably get something there and if you not I am sure you would find someone prepared to make you a custom case.

This is a search for 'drawstring phone'

http://www.etsy.com/search_results.php?search_query=drawstring+phone&search_type=handmade

or you could search for iphone 4 specific cases and then ask one of the sellers to make you what you want.

3. stormingjoe macrumors newbie

try a spectacle drawstring bag from an opticians:) thats what I use, came with my oakleys but available seperate

4. richxps macrumors 65816

richxps

I use the Moshi Ipouch with iphone 4 and bumper.

5. mzd macrumors 6502a

i'm also using one that came with some sunglasses. not sure if they are sold on their own though.

6. katai macrumors regular

The sunglasses bag is a great idea! I was able to use one of mine. I don't want to use the griffin case anymore. Waitin for bse film and finding a white bumper.

7. ScubaCinci macrumors 65816

ScubaCinci

Yeah, I used one that came with my Oakleys

8. BlueGummiBear macrumors 6502a

BlueGummiBear

+1

I believe you can find them on eBay too for cheap. The microfiber pouch doubles as a cleaning cloth. The only problem is getting the phone out when it's ringing...

9. Bootsie macrumors 6502a

Bootsie

I am also using a sunglass bag, I got it from Sunglass Hut a while ago, they are sold separately there.

Waiting on my skin and maybe a bumper, I haven't decided yet...

10. terps2005 macrumors member

11. cwerdna thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks!

Wow! Thanks everyone for the quick response and all the ideas!

Sunglasses totally slipped my mind since I don't wear them and my glasses cases are all hard rigid cases that won't hold an iPhone.

12. bobright macrumors 601

A cloth pouch, jesus might as well get a fanny pack lol

[​IMG]

13. serialtoon macrumors 6502a

serialtoon

I have that mytouch bag. Shoot me shipping cost and you can have it.

14. k1ite macrumors newbie

k1ite

I've been using the ipouch from Moshimonde for the past year and a half and it's been amazing. It has a microfiber lining on the inside so all you need to do is rub the phone together in the case to clean up the smudges. Fits decently with the bumper as well. http://www.moshimonde.com/products2.asp?UPLF1=17&PDLS1=8

15. cwerdna thread starter macrumors 6502

LOL! I actually do carry a fanny pack too. :eek:

It contains my iPhone 3G, T-Mobile myTouch, an iPod Classic, some headphones and because of my work, sometimes one or two more phones that are bigger than my iPhone. :|

Some of the suggestions given are a bit spendy, esp. w/shipping. I'll definitely check out some sunglass places or drop serialtoon a note.

16. Brandon083 macrumors member

Brandon083

I'm using the Moshi iPouch now. I really like it. It is super soft and has an extra pocket in the front for your headphones (or whatever else you may want to put it in it). Also, they said it will work with the bumper, but since I don't have a bumper yet I can’t confirm the fit. It also comes in 4 colors (black, tan, blue, and pink) for those of you who like that sort of thing!

http://www.moshistore.com/iphone-ipod/ipouch.html

17. mis204 macrumors member

18. ldkaplan macrumors regular

ldkaplan

19. cwerdna thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks again

Thanks again everyone!

I was able to swing a free T-Mobile myTouch pouch from another T-Mobile store. It fits perfectly.

The pouches at Sunglass Hut were too big for an iPhone 4.

20. jemm macrumors newbie

I mainly prefer to buy a simple pouch like the one i am currently using for my iphone 4 as it provides protection from smudges and dirt at least with low expense :). Well neither i say pouches are subsistent in preserving phones from hard damages as compared to expensive cases nor i mean to say expensive cases out there in the market are not worth buying as they wont provide protection but to those who are less tech conscious and average users like me simple pouches are good enough :). Even jelly cases are best both cost wise and quality wise for those individual not wishing to spend much and at the same time not willing to compromise their expensive phone. What i feel is as compared to other types of cases from either griffin, rearth or Otterbox (like recently i saw some of the iphone 4 cases in the shop like speck candyshell, blinkcase, invizishield case and bla bla bla oh my :eek: i was :confused: with so many varieties when buying a simple case for my phone) they are inexpensive and capable of preserving phones from extreme damages to the phone. How ever ppl have their own choice and taste :).