Simple database app

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Blue Velvet, Jan 28, 2008.

1. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Hi all

I'm looking for a simple database app that I can have running on 4 Macs with the database on a small Mac server. It's just going to be used for storing and updating contact details of suppliers; freelancers, design agencies, printers and the like.

If there's anything out there that's free/shareware or even something that costs up to $75 per seat, that would be fine, especially if the database is preserved in a non-proprietary file format.

I know very little about databases but I do know that Filemaker Pro is way overkill for what we need.

As per usual, many thanks in advance.

BV :)

2. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

MySQL or PostgreSQL come to mind. Free and feature packed, at least then you can pick and choose which features you want to use. Plus they are well suited for the client / server environment.

3. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Filemaker have made a simple database applications called Bento, there is a free trial that you can use to see if it suites your needs. Leopard only unfortunately.

I don't know about database apps either so I have no idea how appropriate it is.

4. Blue Velvet thread starter Moderator emeritus

Thanks but I'm looking at something very basic with a small learning curve to set up for a bunch of designers to use from their desktops. It's essentially to replace the current TextEdit file :D with a whole bunch of names and details on it that everyone can access, search and edit.

Thanks. We're running Tiger but may have new PowerMacs in April so will be moving to Leopard as the standard install. At least I can demo it at home on the MBP. :)

5. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Ah sorry, yes I tend to get carried away and enjoy setting things like this up more than actually using it :). Yes, I'm a geek :D.

6. Blue Velvet thread starter Moderator emeritus

Thanks, but I forgot to mention that online apps or subscriptions won't work; the Macs aren't connected to the web. Yes, I know, it's 2008... but our corporate IT team are still in 1998 and I'm the IT team for the Macs. :eek: