simple db programming

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by paine, Feb 6, 2011.

1. paine macrumors newbie

Hi,
    Any advice on a good, simple, quick learning programming language, decent gui features, to access mysql local database from local network clients? Hobbyist approach, nothing professional.
    Several years ago i did some programming on lisp, if may be useful for a recommendation.

2. wpotere Guest

What are you looking for, a programming language or a database language? SQL is what you need to learn for databases. If you are trying to create applications, you will need to learn a language like objective C. If your application will connect to a database, you will need to know both or at least the basics of SQL.

3. Bill McEnaney macrumors 6502

I learned SQL when I used the ancient Rbase 5000 dtabase management system or DBMS for short. That DBMS included what its designer called a menu-driven application generator. With the menu, I told the computer what I needed it to do. It wrote a SQL program to do it with.

4. rwdds macrumors member

Look closely at Filemaker. Native Mac DB programming. Simple GUI, yet FM does have a deep, robust programming language. Hooks to external data sources simple to set up. Not as 'programming oriented' as 4D but can do just about anything.

5. wpotere Guest

Yes, there are some apps that can do that but they are not as robust as what you can do if you actually know the language.

6. ssmed macrumors 6502

ssmed

4d

4D v12 is excellent in terms of connectivity and makes Filemaker look quite primitive in terms of programming power. The language is proprietary, but the last 2 versions have included SQL language as well, making the skill set quite transferrable.

I am using 4D for both research and commercial databases with great results.

Have a look at www.4d.com

HTH

SS

7. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

If you want a gui program to interact with mysql then http://www.sequelpro.com/ is probably the best

Other than phpMyAdmin

PHP's support for mysql probably makes it the best for a "simple programming language" to interact with mysql. Obviously the GUI aspect would be through Safari/WebBrowser and whatever HTML you decide to render with PHP.

If you are building a completely new database I might point you towards the SilverStripe framework. It is for building websites but they wrote a rather lovely PHPObject -> MySQL wrapper that not only makes it easy to build and grow a database, but also to provide a GUI (website) to manage and view it.

8. paine thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I've been using sequel pro for testing database queries, Dataglass to do the same through some iphone clients, and mySQLWorkbech to build some schema.
    What I'm searching is a programming environment to build stand-alone apps accessing the database, and eventually, in a second phase, smaller complements for iphone, from where to query and feed the database with remote data-collection. Finally, in a perfect world, the app should try to interface data with other apps (CAD software), for analisys.
    The beauty (as far as I know) of mySQL, besides being free, is the robust relational environment you get, and multi-platform abilities (this last one, maybe good reason not to use filemaker?)

Thx

9. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

Doesn't sound like you can get away with a "simple" language to make stand alone apps if you are planing ever on porting to the iphone. I would suggest learning Objective-C, or hiring a developer.

If you don't need to make "stand alone" apps, think about php and making a "web app"