Simple download question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by boynigel, May 18, 2013.

1. boynigel macrumors regular

i'm running 10.6.8 on my imac. when i save online videos using safari, the download automatically goes into my downloads folder. i'd like to have the option of being prompted WHERE i want to save it, as well as being able to name the file, right then and there. how can i make this happen?

2. Bear macrumors G3

Unfortunatly Safari only lets you set a folder. Other web browsers have different download options. I know for a fact that in Firefox you can set it to ask where you want to go and you can set the name.

3. simsaladimbamba

How do you save them, as right clicking on downloadable items and selecting "Download linked file as" gives you the option to name the file and select the destination.

4. boynigel thread starter macrumors regular

i save it by opening the Activity window then i cut and paste the selected file to my Downloads window. firefox is my browser of choice but it won't download the videos.

5. opinio macrumors 65816

"save target as" when you right click on the hyperlink?

6. simsaladimbamba

As posted in the post above yours, the OP uses Activity window to downloaded streamed video. It will not work for that, and since the Firefox add-on VideoDownloadHelper does not seem to work for the OP, where you can set name and target folder, I do not know of another way, maybe there is for Opera or Chrome or via the ClickToFlash plugin.