Simple Drawing Program

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by HarryWorksInc, May 8, 2010.

1. HarryWorksInc macrumors regular

I am just creating a simple drawing program, I have been a developer for years now and I know I must be doing something insanely stupid but heres my code,
    HTML:
    - (void)touchesBegan:(NSSet *)touches withEvent:(UIEvent *)event {
    	CGPoint thumbPoint;
    	UITouch *thumb = [[event allTouches] anyObject];
    	thumbPoint = [thumb locationInView:thumb.view];

UIImageView *newImage = [[UIImageView alloc] initWithFrame:CGRectMake(thumbPoint.x, thumbPoint.y, 17, 17)];
    	newImage.image = [UIImage imageNamed:@"BlackDot.png"];
    }
    I don't know what i'm doing wrong but all this is supposed to do is create a small square on the screen this repeats in the touchesMoved void.

Nothing happens though, help would be much obliged.

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

1) That is a totally insane way to draw a single pixel.

2) You've not added the new view a subview of any visible view so it's not actually on screen anywhere.

3. HarryWorksInc thread starter macrumors regular

thanks, that worked but how would you do it, if my way is so insane?

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

The reason your way is insane is that you'll end up with so many views that performance will be poor. And there will probably be quite a lot of lag too.

Option 1:

Composite yourself: just create a UIImage and composite your "pixel" image yourself. Downside of this is tracking your pixels and the more you have the longer this will take

Option 2:

Well then re-lock focus on the composited image from last time and composite the new pixel in. This will probably work OK

Option 3:

Do it the "right" way. Create a CGBitmapContext with the correct options and "draw" by simply manipulating the image bytes directly.