Simple Dropbox Sync question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Jigga Beef, Jul 18, 2012.

1. Jigga Beef macrumors regular

This is a very simple question but I would like to keep my Documents folder sync with my dropbox account. However i would like the "original" folder to stay on my hard drive rather than on the dropbox server. THis was working for me before with a program called Mac Drop Any however it doesn't seem to been working recently, my newer documents have not been on my dropbox account.

Is there a way reliable way to make this happen with with a different 3rd party app or a simple script i can write.

Otherwise i have just been erasing the folder in my dropbox once a month and pasteing my current document folder into dropbox.

Thanks for your help!

2. glutenenvy macrumors regular

glutenenvy

Before you get any further, have you tested that you actually have dropbox space by logging into the web interface and manually uploading the file?

If you're using anything other than the dropbox program itself to do your syncing there is a maximum file size limit built into the dropbox api. Individual files must be smaller than this limit or they won't go.

3. Major.Robto macrumors 6502

4. Jigga Beef thread starter macrumors regular

Yes there is plenty of free space for dropbox.

I will check when i get home about the sync, made this post from work.

Thanks for yourself thus far!

5. Major.Robto macrumors 6502

also make shure your on the latest client, Im on 10.8 and had to change to a beta verson.

try looking the snyc setting,s

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

All MacDropAny does is create a symlink to your ~/Documents folder and it still works. Once you run MacDropAny once and set the symlink where you want it, you can even delete MacDropAny and it won't matter. It just sets the symlink and that is it.

Look in Finder in your Dropbox folder and see if you see the ~/Documents folder there like in my screen shot. If you do, it is symbolically linked like you want. If it is not there, run MacDropAny again and set the ~/Documents folder to sym link to Dropbox.

This is how mine is setup and it is working fine.

[​IMG]