Simple DVD/CD burning utility?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Barty Fartslast, May 27, 2014.

1. Barty Fartslast macrumors newbie

I'm looking for something to burn MP3 files to DVDs for my car. The problem with using Finder is that it doesn't give you a running tally of the total file size, so you have no idea how much room you have until after you burn the DVD.

Any suggestions? I don't care about making ISOs or anything else - I just want to be able to add files and folders to a DVD-ROM and then burn it.

Thanks!

B

2. Fishrrman macrumors G4

There are a couple of apps out there you might investigate:
    - "Burn":
    http://burn-osx.sourceforge.net/Pages/English/home.html

- "Simply Burns":
    http://simplyburns.sourceforge.net

Also -- are you sure your car audio can support an mp3 DVD (as distinguished from an mp3 CD) ?

Another thought:
    I tried creating a "Burn folder" on the desktop, and it seems to reflect overall "content size" as I drag-and-drop items into it. This won't work for you?

Also be aware of naming/numbering orders and file/folder hierarchies on any burned mp3 CD. If one just randomly tosses items into a burn setup, the resulting CD may play back in an "unexpected order" afterwards...

I have also seen instances where an mp3 CD wouldn't play back properly until the "album art" was stripped out of the mp3 files...

3. Barty Fartslast thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. I looked at Burn and it appears that it hasn't been updated since 2010 or 2011, so I'm worried its a bit stale and might not work with Mavericks. Same was true of Simply Burns...

I have confirmed that my head unit (a brand new Pioneer AVH series) will play both video and audio burned to a DVD.

I'll try your "burn folder" approach. The problem is that I keep all my media on a NAS, and this would require me to actually copy all the files across the network to my Macbook to "stage" them first before burning to the DVD.

Maybe I'll just give "Burn" a try. I've used it on my older machines in the past with good results...

Thanks

4. jdblas69 macrumors regular

I have used "Burn" recently with Mavericks and seemed to work pretty good. Keeping in mind I have not used it extensively, just for a couple of DVD's but it got the job done.

5. oldhifi macrumors 6502a

oldhifi

2nd that, good program