Simple Excel Question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Kashchei, Feb 23, 2010.

1. Kashchei macrumors 65816

Kashchei

I have to complete a spreadsheet for a grant application and when I added rows, it broke all the formulas that had been input. Here's my really simple question: I have a list of items and after each there is a column for number of units and after that is the unit price. Rather than displaying the total for each item, I need to be able to show the sum for each item in this list. The best I can figure is to painstakingly type =((D2*E2)+(D3*E3)+(D4*E4)) except typing all these numbers would take all night. I have Excel 2008--can anyone help me with this rudimentary problem? I'm sure some of you who work with the program daily could probably do this in your sleep.

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I am having a hard time visualizing the issue
    Can you post a screenshot?

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

4. Kashchei thread starter macrumors 65816

Kashchei

Sure, here it is.

Attached Files:

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It would help if you could show row/column numbers so we know what cell is what.

If you just want an extended total, such as 5*224.99, then below that 2*1599.00, just make a formula that has Quantity * Per unit price for that row, then copy that formula down the column. If you want just one total for all the quantities * all the per unit prices, use the formula I poster earlier.

6. Kashchei thread starter macrumors 65816

Kashchei

I used your sumproduct formula and it seems to have done the trick! Here is the spreadsheet so you can get a look at the whole thing, but I think you already fixed it. Thank you so much!

Attached Files: