simple external HD quesiton

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jameswilcox, Nov 19, 2015.

1. jameswilcox macrumors newbie

jameswilcox

is there a certain format to have on my external HD (when formatting) to make it push files to the trash when deleting instead of "permanently deleting" files?

i have 3 external drives. 2 of them are OSX Extended Journaled (case sensitive) and 1 is just Journaled (not case sensitive)

the 2 that are case sensitive will move files to the trash upon deleting a file and the other does not. Now logically this would tell me to re-format the non case sensitive drive to case sensitive but before i go though the daunting task of backing everything up, moving files etc etc. i just wanted to check and see if anyone can tell me 100% this is my issue.
    thanks ahead of time...

sorry if this post is in the wrong area i didn't see anything for external drive support.

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

A non-case sensitive OS X Extended (Journaled) formatted external drive does use the trash function, so you have something else going on.

3. jameswilcox thread starter macrumors newbie

jameswilcox

answered my own question :) and its YES!

so for anyone else out there. when your formatting your external HD on a mac use "OS X Extended (case sensitive, Journaled). this will allow you to delete files and have them moved to the trash instead of them being permanently deleted.
    Cheers!

4. jameswilcox thread starter macrumors newbie

jameswilcox

not sure what it is but I formatted another drive i have to "case sensitive" and it worked fine... so i'm re-formating everything now.

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Like I said, you have something else going on. Before my previous post I tested on a USB key by formatting to Mac OS Extended (Journaled) (non-case sensitive) and deleted files go into the trash as expected.