Simple Finder account question on Mouse

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by TraceyS/FL, Apr 26, 2007.

1. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

I run Simple Finder for my 2 youngest kids. I work around the quirks and life is generally easy....

BUT, how on earth can i disable Dashboard for those accounts??? They can't get to the mouse settings (drives me insane actually), for my 2yo, just a single button would be nice.

We actually didn't have a Mighty Mouse until 2 months ago - so this hadn't been an issue for us. BUt she's trying to play a game and keeps squeezing it and ending up looking at the Widgets. Which makes her scream for help.

My 7yo has issues with the speed of her mouse. Hers is the only one that is SLOOOWWWWWW. I'd also actually prefer for her to have a single button. She has some motor skill issues and the old mouse worked great for her. It was the first one she's EVER been able to use!

Thanks for any direction -
    Tracey

2. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

I believe if you are at the computer using each of their accounts, you can go to the Finder menu and there will be a command along the line of "Enable Regular Finder"...you'll have to enter your admin password. That should give you access to System Preferences in the Apple Menu (or at least in the Application folder) Then go System Preferences > Keyboard & Mouse and change the settings. You'll have to do it on each child's account because those preference are kept separately for each account.

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I think the other thing you can do while you have regular finder enabled is to install Disable Dashboard and run it; then, when you switch back to limited, it should still be in force.

While we're on this topic... simple finder has its own Dock configuration, which is not editable while in simple finder. How would one create a custom dock configuration for use with Simple Finder mode? Is that possible?

4. TraceyS/FL thread starter macrumors 68040

I didn't think i could get to the Mouse set up - you don't really get "full" finder when you do that. Trying to make the Dock hide is a pain in the behind too.

You can't set up a custom dock - i have done A LOT with alias within the documents folder. It's a pain at times, but knowing they aren't "Breaking" anything sure is nice! LOL!!

OK, off to try it....

5. TraceyS/FL thread starter macrumors 68040

OK, i got it. Running "FUll Finder" didn't allow access to the Prefs, i had to click-hold on the dock and bring up "dock preferences". Which btw, still doesn't allow you to HIDE the dock.

From there i was able to do a show all and get to the Mouse setting. Life should be easy again!!!

Thanks for the memory job guys - LOL, lack of sleep is messing with me today!

6. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

I'm working from an old memory here...I could be mistaken.

So if that doesn't work...the other thing to do would be to log in as administrator, temporarily give those accounts full access, log in to each one and change the mouse settings, then go back as the administrator and restore the parental controls back to their simple finder settings.

EDIT: Glad to hear it worked!