Simple flat-file database app for OSX / Windows

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by RedTomato, Dec 7, 2009.

1. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

Hiya

I'm looking for a simple, preferably free, database app for OSX / Windows. It's just so that I can share a task list of technical things to fix with my boss (he uses Windows).

FileMaker Pro would be perfect, and I have it on my mac, but it's a bit expensive to ask my boss to buy a Windows version just to share a task list. I'm happy to use Access, but it's Windows only, and I don't fancy keeping VMWare open 24/7 just for that.

Google Docs would be good, but they have no database app.

Any ideas?

2. mysterytramp macrumors 65816

mysterytramp

3. telecomm macrumors 65816

telecomm

Have you thought about something online? If you've got web hosting, with a little PHP and MySQL you could set up a webpage (password protected, if that's your preference), that gives access to your shared database.

Someone who knows a bit if PHP + MySQL would be able to set this up in no time, and nobody would need to install any additional software.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If its flat and the needs are simple why not use excel?

5. Fishrrman macrumors G3

I'm looking for the same kind of flat-file database app - simple, quick, easy.

Try looking at either:
    - Eagledata, or
    - iData

- John

6. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

OpenOffice.org Base sounds like it will fit your needs.

7. RedTomato thread starter macrumors 68040

RedTomato

I'd rather use a database app. I already have a todo list, and for this purpose, I need a db.
    Love to, but I know no PHP, and MySQL gives me the screaming *****. I may well need to learn it in a few years time, but not now, for the love of God.
    Tried to. I'm not very good in Excel either. My colleague (who I don't see very often) uses Excel for a similar job. He gave me a copy of his file, but I can't really work out how to make it do the things I want to do. Maybe FileMaker Pro has spoilt me.
    Eagledata is ancient, and doesn't work on Windows.
    iData, do you mean http://www.idata3.com/ ? Looks quite nice for personal use as a note-manager, but I want something field-based, and it doesn't work on Windows anyway.
    Ah, I'd forgotten about Base. I tried it for a complicated project and went back to FileMaker. But for something simple like this, it could be the thing. Thanks for the suggestion.

I tried a couple of online systems: Zoho - nice, especially it's technical helpdesk module, but too expensive for casual use for more than two users. Would use it if we were bigger and this was for a company core function.

DabbleDB - lovely look, but all data is public if you don't pay.

Will try out OOO's Base.