Simple Food

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Shaun.P, Jan 3, 2012.

1. Shaun.P macrumors 68000

Shaun.P

As part of my commitment to lose weight this year, I'm looking to discover some simple new dishes that I can make at home.

I'm looking for recipes that are extremely simple, taste nice but with very few ingredients.

For example, one idea I have in mind is to boil some rice and fry it in vegetable oil and add some peas, spring onions and chillies and maybe have this to accompany some grilled chicken.

Another similar idea is to have the above as a stir fry (substituting rice for noodles).

Other ideas are just having a tin of soup with bread or a tin of beans with wholemeal toast.

Any other ideas? Perhaps pasta related?

2. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Starch is bad. Period.

Although it is hard to totally eliminate it from your diet, it's worth a try.

3. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

No, it's not.

Sincerely,

davidjearly

4. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

http://www.3fatchicks.com/how-starch-contributes-to-weight-gain/

5. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

Cut a pork fillet in pieces about an inch thick. Let it marinate in olive oil mixed with garlic, paprika, basil, oregano and onion, altough marinating is not really necessary as pork fillet is really tender (you can mix it and cook it right away). Sear it for a few minutes, until well colored and starting to cook a bit on the inside. Then throw the meat along with diced bell pepper (yellow is great, but red or orange works too) and diced tomato in an oven-safe dish and cook at 400F for 15 to 20 minutes.

I usually serve this with rice and veggies or a salad, but I guess you can let go of the starch if it concerns you. ;)

6. Fresh Tendrils macrumors regular

Actually starch is not bad. What is bad, is removing important and natural foods from your diet because a blog told you to, or because celebrity x did. If you eat everything in moderation and exercise you will be OK. If you need to lose weight I suggest you look at what your drinking. I've lost count of the number of people who have told me that carbohydrates etc are bad and that they've stopped eating them to lose weight, all while downing a bottle of soft drink, highly processed fruit juice, or energy drink. From my own personal experience I was chubby till I was about 15. Then I swapped fizzy drinks for water and started working out. Now I'm in my late 20s and I've had a lean athletic figure for the past 10 years [and I eat starch every day!]

7. mikeyredk macrumors 65816

Tomato Sauce = Liquid Velcro

Seriously it is.

Start by putting oil or butter in a pot
    Spices I typically put in Cumin, Dried Chili pods, coriander after they become fragrant
    Sweat some diced onion in a pot (I just use a food processor to liquify the onion for easier chopping first in chunks then pulse)
    (Optional) Mushrooms, other veggies after they are cooked put in
    Tomatoes (any kind will do canned or fresh; I use canned it's easier)

Grab your stick blender and blend till smooth; cook down for an hour on low. Salt and pepper to taste.

8. Fresh Tendrils macrumors regular

9. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

That quoted article confuses simple and complex carbohydrates. Complex carbohydrates ("starches"), found in vegetables, beans and whole grain foods, are a very important part of a healthy diet. Simple carbohydrates are found in fruits, vegetables and dairy products, but also candy, table sugar, soda and syrup. Foods with simple carbohydrates are also healthy when the carbs are naturally occurring, and the food contains other nutrients, as in fruits or vegetables. Roughly half of a healthy diet should be carbohydrates, and as much of it as possible should come from whole grains or naturally occurring sugars.

As for the OP: those stir fry dishes are good and easy to cook. You can cook some chicken breasts in advance and keep them in the fridge for a few days to slice and add to your dinners to help speed things up. You can try using brown rice in your recipes—it is more filling and healthier, though different. You can incorporate it slowly rather than all at once, half and half tastes good. When you're frying your rice think about what you're using—canola, olive, peanut or safflower oils are good picks.

Pasta with some boiled spinach leaves, garlic and oil can be delicious as is, and is very simple. Add vegetables and meat as wanted. I don't particularly care for whole grain pasta, but it is more filling and a healthier choice. I also really like ravioli or tortellini with vegetable fillings (stay away from meat or cheese). You can buy them frozen or dried and boil.

Beans are a good way to add some protein and substance to pasta or rice, you can add them to both. Out of a can (with as little salt as possible) they are very easy to prepare.

10. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

For a quick meal I sometimes make a super easy bean salad. Half a can of mixed beans, a diced tomato, olive oil, balsamic vinegar and oregano. It's as simple as that and tastes great.

11. 'Bmac macrumors regular

A quick easy pasta dish

1 small onion sliced thin
    1 clove garlic minced
    2 ounces olive oil

1/2 box linguine pasta

Prepare pasta according to box directions.

In a medium frying pan add the olive oil, cook onion until soft and abit brown. Add garlic saute for one minute or just until you began to smell the garlic cooking. Once garlic is cooking for a minute remove from heat.

When pasta cooked, toss in olive oil garlic and onion mixture. Plate and enjoy.

12. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

add some fresh tellicherry pepper and some parmigiano ressiano. browned butter is better then olive oil too.

13. 'Bmac macrumors regular

Thanks for the tip!

Thanks for the tip. Your additions sound delicious. I just make it like that because that is how my Mother always made the dish.

14. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

Any hard tangy cheese works well or no cheese at all. but the garlic and browned butter and pepper is so good. got my daughter hooked on it. bzcon is good too.
    now with the wife and I'ds food allergies we can't have it anymore.

15. 'Bmac macrumors regular

Next time I make this dish I will try it your way. The browned butter and garlic sounds sooooo good. I am so sorry to hear of the food allergies because you and your Mrs. are missing out on a great dish. I love parmisiano reggiano cheese so I am going to the store tomorrow so I can try it. I am thinking panchetta instead of the bacon might work even better.

16. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

panchetta would work I may have tried it. we used to eat this a lot every week. I liked mithzera cheese but no one else did. We are both alergice to most grains now but at least we match.

17. 'Bmac macrumors regular

Thank GOD you and the Mrs. match. IT helps a lot. I know my Sweetheart and I love just about everything. The exact same way. Even right down to hating mushrooms! LOL.

18. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

my wife was very picky when I met her but she learned to really like most things. But mushrooms and olives and I like both. I got her her first bagel and chreamcheese it was love at first taste.

19. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Chili Lime Coconut Chicken (requires 30 minutes once you're used to it)

1. In a single bowl, add diced garlic, chili flakes, grated lime zest/skin, lime juice, and olive oil. Easy peasy. The only part that requires real "work" is grating the lime zest.

2. Thinly slice up some chicken breast, and mix with the stuff above. Wait 5-10 minutes.

3. Fry the chicken. Cook the chicken slices in separate bunches. It's easier, and may actually be quicker.

4. Remove the chicken from the frying pan. Open up a can of low fat coconut milk, and pour in like 100 ml into the "dirty" pan. Add a bit of fish sauce if you have it. Heat up the liquid, and put in some chopped up bok choy. Cook for ~2 minutes.

5. After you're done, put it all together onto a plate with some rice. You don't need to add the coconut milk to the chicken or rice. The bok choy will carry enough coconut flavour for the entire dish. ;)

20. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

My favourite (and probably wrong) chilli con carne recipe. Pretty big but easy to half.
    Dice 2 onions
    Brown in a pan
    Brown 1kg of minced beef
    Add 2 packets of chilli seasoning (whatever a good local brand is, I use old el paso)
    Put beef and onions together in a big pot with 2 cans of diced tomatos and 2 cans of chilli beans
    Stir on a medium heat for about 10 mins
    Add a pinch of cinemon (not sure how to spell that)
    Stir for another 5 mins
    Serve with rice and a bit of sour cream

----------

It's a simple meal and very filling. Hope someone can use it:)

21. satty macrumors 6502

I love CCC :)
    How many people do you feed with this? 4 to 6 people?

Anyway... go All Blacks!

22. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

I made for my flatmates the other night and it fed 5 big guys after a day of moving furniture. I'm a uni student and I find it gets me through 5-6 nights, and I eat quite a lot.

23. Shaun.P thread starter macrumors 68000

Shaun.P

Wow thanks guys for all the useful recipes!

I'm interested in CCC. Would I be able to make enough for 5-6 portions and freeze the rest? How would I defrost it when I want to eat it again - heat it up in a pan from frozen? Or would I need to let it defrost overnight then heat it up?

Abstract your recipes sounds really nice for coating the chicken - I'm not sure about the rest! :D I'll need to find out what bok choy is!

'Bmac - very very simple recipe. Sounds like it would also be nice with some chilli flakes through it.

24. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

I don't even freeze it, I just leave it in a sealed container in the fridge. I guess you could freeze it though. Just heat it up in the microwave. Its one of those meals you can't really ruin.

25. wpotere, Jan 4, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2012

wpotere Guest

As others have pointed out, this is really bad information, I body build and still eat starches daily. Having anything in moderation is OK, you just can't make it your meal like most people do. In fact, potatoes have been proven to aid in weight loss and are packed full of nutrients. That being said, you don't want to make it your primary staple and load it with butter, cheese and sour cream.

OP, if you are looking for some great recipes, check out this mag....

http://www.cleaneatingmag.com/

There are some great and easy recipes in there that will aid you in your quest.