Simple Gaming Question?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by eckthroi, Aug 19, 2011.

1. eckthroi, Aug 19, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2011

eckthroi macrumors regular

I saw on the purchase site that the recommended cpu speed was 2.4 - I have the 1.6 11" Air - Does this mean I cannot play it oor does it mean it will give me trouble when I do?

Sorry but this would be my first computer game purchase and so I am unfamiliar with how this works.

***I just saw that it said Integrated video chipsets such as were on the mac air 2010 were not supported. Does this mean it is the same for the 2011 mac air's?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

It means the game will probably be unplayable.

3. rkheyfets macrumors regular

post the name of the game or a link to its min requirements
    for example if a game required a P4 3.2 even a 1.6 i5 would be WAY more than enough to play it so just cpu speed can be deceptive

4. eckthroi thread starter macrumors regular

The game is knights of the Old republic - saw it on App store and saw it got good reviews. I have a 11" 1.6/i5/4GB/128

5. rkheyfets macrumors regular

Are you talking about the old star wars game?
    can you possibly post a link to the game?

----------

http://www.aspyr.com/product/game_specs/38

this is what i found and if its the same game you will be 1000% fine

6. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

How do you figure that? KOTOR requires a Motorola processor and Lion does not support Rosetta. You won't be able to run that on your Air.

7. rkheyfets macrumors regular

they ported the game and its in the app store now so the new version requires mac os x 10.6.6

and here is a comment from the reviews on the app store

"UPDATE: I almost didn't think Aspyr would fix the lag but they proved me wrong! This game now runs flawlessly on my 2010 13" mbp with graphics firing all 4 cilenders. For the price, you should not pass this up not for anything!"

so if it runs on 2010 macbook pro 13" it will run on the air

----------

here is a better link
    http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/star-wars-knights-old-republic/id416608891?mt=12

8. eckthroi thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you, it sounds like it should work fine but I would like to know if anyone out there has experience with this using my same machine currently.
    2011 11" 1.6/i5/4GB

9. iExpensive macrumors 6502

iExpensive

Someone said that they played KOTR on there MBA and it handled it on all high settings.

10. eckthroi thread starter macrumors regular

Have you tried it yourself? I just hate to put out the money on a game that will be incompatible to my system- especially since this will be my first computer gaming experience. I like the idea of being able to use my computer for occasional gaming but I dont want to start off with a bad experience because I will likely not try again if I do.

11. Nioxic macrumors regular

first of all, its a very old game (yes anything from more than 3 years ago in computer terms is very old)

so it will run smoothly.. maybe not 100 fps on an air.. but certainly playable

Personally when i'm playing games on my air, i just put all settings on lowest and hope that it can max the fps without running at full speed :p (aka. to get a lower temp - less noise too!)

Kotor is a cool game though!

12. eckthroi thread starter macrumors regular

I just looked at the controls for this game. It seems overwhelming. How does one keep track of using all those different keys?

13. iExpensive macrumors 6502

iExpensive

Okay so here was the gaming thread. I may have overestimated by saying high settings? It says he just used no Anti-Aliasing.

14. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I'm running Jedi Knights Outcast 2 (from the Apple App store) on high and it runs great. Those system requirements are slowly being updated, as before it said it didnt support integrated graphics, but I have seen several that have added HD3000 to their list of supported apps.

15. eckthroi thread starter macrumors regular

So I have a question- as for me attempting my first computer gaming attempt. Is it difficult to remember and execute all the commands during gameplay. It looks quite overwhelming when looking at all the different keys needed to be used for gameplay.

What would some of you recommend - KOTOR or Outcasts?

16. Oppressed macrumors 65816

Oppressed

Multi button mice are almost always a good choice when computer gaming. My current favorite is the Razer Naga.

17. eckthroi thread starter macrumors regular

I just looked at that- It seems useful for sure. Does this mean it is extremely difficult to play games like KOTOR and Outcasts when just using the Mac keyboard as is?

18. johnadams2007 macrumors member

johnadams2007

there goes miles once again trying to sound smart but as always...he is wrong. just downloaded and installed kotor to prove him wrong. its runs flawlessly maxed out.