Simple HTML Website Issues

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by ross.alex.k, Apr 11, 2011.

1. ross.alex.k, Apr 11, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2011

ross.alex.k macrumors newbie

ross.alex.k

Ok, so here's my issue... I'm a graphic designer, and I just put up a freelance website, created on my own. I taught myself HTML, and so getting browsers to render the site correctly has been basically trial and error. I just re-designed my top navigation, and it doesn't render properly on Internet Explorer. The site is just built with basic tables. I work on a Mac, so the only way to test IE is through a web portal "IE Net Renderer."

Any help would be AWESOME! Here's the link to my site: http://www.rossdesignco.com.

Here's a screenshot for you to compare... thanks a bunch for any help!

[​IMG]

2. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

You're not going to like this, but you have a lot of funky stuff going on in here and should probably abandon table based layout.

The reason it isn't working is due to your inline style on the table of margin-left: auto;

Since you are working with a static width design, making that 55px will fix your issue (at least for now)

Plus javascript rollover images for single colors??

3. Cabbit macrumors 68020

Cabbit

Agreed you are just going to bang your head on a wall over and over trying to maintain this site and for a professional designer you need your site to reflect that professionalism.

4. manueld macrumors 6502

To fix your issue, add the align="center" to that td and you should be fine. The table layout is what's really screwing you up. But you're not a web developer so...

<table align="center" bgcolor="#e6e6e6" border="0" cellpadding="0"
    cellspacing="0" width="860px">
    <tbody>
    <tr>
    <td align="center">

Also, I'd add change your body to:

<body style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0); background-color: rgb(241, 241, 241); margin:0; padding: 0;" alink="#000000" link="#666666" vlink="#ee8833">

Any reason why the background of your site doesn't match the background? it goes from a light gray to a really light gray. If I were you I'd change the background color of the body to #e6e6e6 as well.

5. Dana Beck macrumors member

Dana Beck

need a valid DOCTYPE

Part of your problem with IE might be that you do not have a valid DOCTYPE at the top of your source code. You need to include a url also to prevent IE from lapsing into "quirks mode." Since you are using tables for layout, 4.01 Transitional is okay (Transitional DTD allows some older elements and attributes that have been deprecated), but the DOCTYPE should look like this:

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"
    "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">

Might solve some of your IE rendering. You can read about it here.

6. ross.alex.k thread starter macrumors newbie

ross.alex.k

Site fixed!

Thanks to everyone for your help! I'm sure I've got some things to learn with regard to the proper way to build a website. I'm primarily a print designer, so its a relatively new area for me. I was able to fix the issue by simply aligning="center" my td.

Thanks so much!