Simple Instant Text message Application - Mac / PC

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by siam, Jul 6, 2008.

1. siam macrumors regular

I am looking for an Application that I can type and send instant text messages to my friend who has a PC, and he can then send back a text reply message , but if possible not MSN / Yahoo Etc, does any one know of a simple instant Text messaging application we both could use , we don't need voice or video just the ability to send and receive instant text messages to each other .

2. ltldrummerboy macrumors 68000

ltldrummerboy

Just use Google accounts. They can download Google Talk and you can use iChat. I don't know of any cross-platform ones other than the ones you mentioned.

3. siam thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks ltldrummerboy , I was hoping not to go down the Google / MSN / Yahoo route if possible , but it looks like I may not have any choice..:(

Thanks ...

4. Andrew Henry macrumors 6502a

AIM ? :D

5. siam thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks Andrew Henry , Just looking at it now .. :)

6. siam thread starter macrumors regular

Just taken a quick look .. it seems a lot considering I only want to send some Text Messages from myself to a friend and back .. :)

7. siam thread starter macrumors regular

EvanLugh.. Thanks , I am using Apple Mail and my friend is using Thunderbird,
    so how could we have instant Message texts ..? do you know a way ..?

Thanks

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Erm, I don't get it. You want to send instant messages, but you categorically reject every major IM service? Why on earth? That's like saying, I want to be inside my apartment an talk to my friend who lives on the other side of the country, but I don't want to go down the phone route. :confused:

If it's a commercial / open-source issue, try using a Jabber client, instead. If you find the commercial apps irritating, try Adium on the Mac side and Trillian on the PC side. Otherwise... I don't understand what you want??? Open a terminal and SSH or telnet to them and send them OS-level alerts? That's absurd in 2008, though. It's not 1968 anymore....

9. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Huh?

Uh, what's the difference between text messaging between computers and IMing between them? Pretty much the same darn thing.

No, there's no way for two computers to communicate directly to each other without some sort of protocol or service. IM is the only way to go for instantaneous communication.

10. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Just text him on your phone and be done with it... :p

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

11. andymogil macrumors newbie

text app

look at call wave granite you have to have igoogle i think but call wave is one way you can send a message threw your computer to them but when they reply it goes to your cell phone