Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jassz39

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 21, 2013
I guess it might be a dumb question to ask here. I'm still new to the ios system.

For example, when my facebook app is opening on my ipad mini,

does hitting the home button means I completely close the facebook app

Or just a temporarily closing, that has lots of programming still running behind?:eek:

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
I guess it might be a dumb question to ask here. I'm still new to the ios system.

Or just a temporarily closing, that has lots of programming still running behind?:eek:

First off, get the phrase "might be a dumb question" out your vocabulary. That phrase is utterly annoying. You're a newbie, nothing to be ashamed of, so no more apologizing for it

To answer the actual question, the second is correct. When you return to the home screen the apps don't quit. They go into a kind of hibernation mode (or should) where some aspects might still running in the background. If they are depends on the app. This is important to know since those bits and pieces running in the background can drain your battery if there are a lot of them and/or they are running a lot. An example of this might be a website that uses location services (ie can see where you are). When you 'sleep' Safari the website might still be updating your location every few seconds. You might need to force quit Safari to make it stop.

TJ61

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2011

When you hit the home button, or leave your app in any other way, the OS gives the app a short amount of time to "tidy up", and then it essentially goes into a suspended state. (There are exceptions to this, such as apps that are downloading from the internet may continue to download for some number of minutes in the background, or GPS apps which are allowed to run indefinitely in the background.) When you go back to your app, because it was in a suspended state, it should pretty much look like it did when you left it, and ready to continue.

Regards,
Tom

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
When you hit the home button, or leave your app in any other way, the OS gives the app a short amount of time to "tidy up", and then it essentially goes into a suspended state. (There are exceptions to this, such as apps that are downloading from the internet may continue to download for some number of minutes in the background, or GPS apps which are allowed to run indefinitely in the background.) When you go back to your app, because it was in a suspended state, it should pretty much look like it did when you left it, and ready to continue.

Regards,
Tom

This, closing it has it enter a suspended state. Most apps will at this point stop using resources will they are in the background.

To fully close an app, double click the home button and hold an icon for a few seconds. Minus signs will appear, which you can tap to close each app. However, for the most part doing this is not necessary.

Prawnstar69

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2012
In other words, when u press the home button again double tap the home button and hold the app, a red quit button will appear click it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.