Simple iPad app

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by HappySnail, Jan 11, 2012.

1. HappySnail macrumors regular

Hi. I'm trying to make a simple iPad app (my first). Now I don't know much about this, I'm turning to online tutorials (mostly youtube at the moment). It's hard to find tutorials for Xcode 4.2 as it all seems to have changed since 3.

Now i'm trying to make an app that plays an interactive video. The video plays a litte, pauses until you click on an item and make it continue. Then it'll pause again and continue this process.
    So, I thought the best way to set this up is to have these as separate files and possibly a picture where it would be paused with a hidden button on the image. Looking to tutorials the main way to do this is MediaPlayer so I followed a tutorial and made a simple video that plays on button press.

The problem with this is the loading and the play/pause buttons that appear. Plus the top bar appears briefly. So, I'm just looking for a little starter advice. Is MediaPlayer the best way to go about it and continue or is there a better way I should look into? I don't want to create a whole thing using MediaPlayer.framework to find out it was a terrible way to do it and it'll never fully work.

Thanks for any advice/help.

2. kayloh20 macrumors regular

MPMoviePlayerController actually has a property, controlStyle, which you can set to MPMovieControlStyleNone.

If you're using MPMoviePlayerViewController, you can reference the player with myController.moviePlayer.

3. HappySnail thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, thanks. I'll look at removing the play button and everything.
    As for the loading bar. Is there a way to make all of the videos load as the app opens or any way to remove the loading bar somehow. The videos need to seamlessly transition between one another on button press.