Simple iPhone 4 jailbreak question

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by danistyping, Sep 20, 2010.

1. danistyping macrumors regular

Hey guys

I'm not at all new to the iPhone, but I am very new to jailbreaking. I have never done it, but I want to try when the 4.1 jb is released.

My question: Will my contacts/settings etc be salvaged when I go from regular iOS 4 to JB iOS4? Or do I have to painstakingly re-enter all of that information? If my info is transferred without the hassle, can the reverse be done? ie - go from JB iOS 4 back to regular iOS 4 with all settings/contacts intact.

Anything else I should know? I am aware that it voids warranty and that if I need to take it to the apple store I have to restore to iOS 4.

THANKS!
    Dan

2. aristobrat macrumors G4

Why don't you sync your contacts to your computer, so if anything ever happens to your iPhone (stolen, damaged beyond repair, jailbreak gone wrong, etc) you're covered?

Jailbreaking doesn't normally erase anything. Well, the initial Spirit jailbreak made some peoples photos disappear, but that was pretty unusual. So when the 4.1 JB comes out, read other peoples experiences first.

3. danistyping thread starter macrumors regular

Of course I sync with iTunes on a somewhat regular basis incase something happens. It's my understanding that jailbreaking manipulates the OS, so I'm asking because I want a jailbroken phone with all of my pre-jailbroken stuff on it in tact.

Just wondering if thats how it works or not.

Also, is the regular app store still accessible?
    And, are mp3's now free or do i still have to pay for them?

4. Hype2k2 macrumors 6502

Hype2k2

App store should work fine, as for mp3s torrenting them but you could do that on your pc without a jb.

5. iPhone-power macrumors 6502a

Just like when you do an iTunes update, everything is re-wriiten on your phone and you have to sync back your music, movies, calendar, contacts, ringtones, etc

A jailbreak update works exactly the same way, when you are done, sync back your stuff. And you can still continue to sync with iTunes, App Store, etc.

Everything that you paid for before, you still need to pay for. Jailbreaking is not for stealing apps and music.

6. DARKiLLUSiON macrumors 6502

Don't mean to hijack your thread OP but I'm the same as you new to jailbreaking. My question is if I jailbreak it it lets me use the iPhone 4 oversea right? I have a locked iPhone and will be going to Asia for few weeks next month.

7. aristobrat macrumors G4

"Unlocking" lets you use other carrier's SIMs in your iPhone.

You have to jailbreak before you can "unlock", but just jailbreaking alone will not give you what you need.

8. DARKiLLUSiON macrumors 6502

Oh ok so what do I need to download for it to be "unlock"?

9. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

It will depend on what version of the baseband or modem firmware you have. With 01.59.00 you can use the current version of ultrasn0w.

When you upgrade to 4.1, if your baseband gets upgraded, you'll have to wait for a new tool (if ever).

10. DARKiLLUSiON macrumors 6502

Great I upgraded mine to 4.1, didn't think I'd be going oversea then now it happen. Guess I'll wait for a new tool update....if that ever happens
    Thanks for the info though