Simple iPhone - Blackberry question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by shirazik, Apr 19, 2008.

1. shirazik macrumors newbie

Let's just say I wanted to switch my sim card, which is in an iPhone right now, into a blackberry curve, would the internet work, or no?

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

If you did hypothetically actually want help from one of us, it might actually help if you...

- say who your service provider is

- say whether you got the BB from them or from someone else.

3. f1 macrumors 6502

If you do not have a blackberry plan, it doesn't matter who your carrier is, the Internet and all other data functions on your blackberry will not work. The blackberry requires specific blackberry data plans to work as it must communicate with servers run by RIM to work.

4. srl7741 macrumors 68020

srl7741

edited: I made an error "f1" corrected me below.

5. f1 macrumors 6502

not true, an unlocked blackberry still requires a connection to the RIM server for the internet browser, email and other data features to work, and iPhone plan does not offer that so no, what the OP wants to do will not work.

6. srl7741 macrumors 68020

srl7741

Your right I was thinking in the wrong order. Switch the other way. I have an unlocked iPhone and use it with my TMO service.

Sorry about that wrong information, did not mean to confuse the OP.

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yeah, now that I think about it, you're right. I think even the browser requires the RIM server access, because the RIM browser recompiles pages for the browser on the server side. You can use the phone features without a BB plan, and in principle, if you install third party apps that use the APN (some apps require you to put in an APN, such as wap.voicestream.com for T-Mobile), those apps would work without the BB plan also. But that's it.

Of course, the OP seems to have wandered off...