Simple iTunes set up question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by brn2rnjk1, Dec 1, 2013.

1. brn2rnjk1 macrumors regular

I have a friend with various types of old computers Not using iTunes. He is thinking of an iPad for his daughter and thinks he will need iTunes as interface for her. So, as a non-original iTunes user he wants to know
    1.if he has to convert all his media to iTunes to use it with iPad?
    2.If so, he says he doesn't have the space on his system to do this. How do people convert entire libraries with limited space?

3. I guess he could repurpose an old machine to act as a server also?

Any other ideas that I just cant think off is greatly appreciated.

THANKS
    Jim

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You don't need to convert music to sync it to the iPad. If it plays in iTunes on the Mac, it will play on the iPad. Just set up syncing between the iPad and the Mac, select the music you want to sync, and you're done. There are instructions on how to do this in the user guide that comes with your iPad.

3. brn2rnjk1 thread starter macrumors regular

But it needs to be in iTunes? What i gather is that they are using a non-iTunes way to listen to music and watch movies. They now want to get and ipad but don't want to convert their library since they are out of room? I don't know of a way to get the music on the ipad without converting it into iTunes format first and then syncing?

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can also store music in Dropbox or similar services, then play it on the iPad. There are apps like CloudBeats that are designed for this.

5. ufkdo macrumors 6502

They can import the music without duplicating the files and without altering the current way they organize their music. iTunes has the ability to play&sync referenced files. Just go to Preferences/Advanced and uncheck "Copy files to itunes media folder" and done.

6. brn2rnjk1 thread starter macrumors regular

So, once they do this, it doesn't copy into iTunes format, just points to existing media? Does it show up in itunes as like normal so that you can check what to sync etc?

7. ufkdo macrumors 6502

Yes to both questions.