Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iamse7en

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 9, 2007
I do video editing where I will take a 2 hour clip and make about 40-50 edits, taking out half-second clips here and there.

I'm looking for a video editor that does not require a long importing process, and if possible, a fast save/export process as well. In other words, a native video editor.

For many years, the best application has been SimpleMovieX. It's quick, lightweight, and does native editing (supports all files that QuickTime supports). I can open a movie in SimpleMovie with no importing process, make a bunch of quick, precise edits, and it saves within minutes.

However, the app hasn't been updated in awhile and isn't supporting 1080p/5.1 files, which my videos now are.

Does anyone know of a great video editor that would satisfy these requirements? It looks like there are quite a few unknown video editors in the Mac App Store, but hoping someone around these parts would know of one to try. Thanks!

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Quicktime Pro

Quicktime Pro can, I believe.

Though the import process to iMovie shouldn't take more than a few minutes.

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
Look at DaVinci Resolve Lite 11 by Blackmagic - very powerful software at no cost. It was formerly color correction software, now updated for editing.

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/davinciresolve - two of my friends swear by the Lite version, you might want to check to see if its output is sufficient. Resolve Lite is pretty easy to learn IMO - I got the hang of it in about a week and I don't know much about NLEs or other video editors.

iamse7en

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 9, 2007
iMovie is so terrible. I can't figure out how to do very basic things such as: enter a timestamp, select 1 second, then delete it. That's all I need to do. It doesn't even show the time bar. Plus I need to make very precise edits, down to the millisecond/frame.

QT 7 cannot get very precise, but even beyond that, it won't even open up one of my 1080p movies (though QT 10 will).

I just tried DaVinci Resolve, but it was soooo slow. It wouldn't even play the 1080p movie smoothly - went at a snail's pace that made it unusable. I have a 2013 Retina MBP with 8GB RAM, and it wouldn't even run smoothly on that. Beyond that, I also couldn't figure out how to do something as simple as enter in a specific time stamp, select the next second of frames and then delete them.

Last edited:

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
Sad that Resolve is a dog for you. The Mac I tried it on is a top-of-the-line late 2013 rMBP. The two editors we use here are Premier and FCPX - Resolve is a product we just dabble with but two of my friends love it using i7 iMacs. If I come up with something else I'll pass it on.

dollystereo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2004
France
Probably you are using files directly from a camera. You need to "decompress" them to be able to edit them fluently. Specially if it is 1080p footage.
Imovie does that, and I think resolve can do it to. After the files are decompressed (transcoded in a larger-lighter format) it should run fast and responsive.
GoPro files are an example of super compressed slow editing files.
Usually I do my editing in FCPX and I transcode on import, sure you have to wait, but then even an older machine can edit them.

iamse7en

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 9, 2007
They are already very compressed. 2 hour 1080p is only 4 gb, and Resolve was an absolute dog. Pretty silly, really.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.