Simple personal accounting software

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by raymondu999, Mar 1, 2010.

1. raymondu999 macrumors 65816

Hey all. I'm looking for an easy-to-use (I'm have no accounting degree, trust me) personal accounting software. I've heard good things about Quicken. What do you all recommend?:D

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Quicken just came out with a re-write, so you might want to give it a try
    I have used Quicken since the early 90's, but I only use the checkbook register
    The other features are pretty poor compared to the Windows version I understand

If you are looking for something really basic, I would suggest visiting VersionTracker or MacUpdate and searching for some personal accounting software. There are a number of them available with varying degrees of features and stability.

Personal financial software is one area where Mac software has lagged behind in my opinion

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I use iBank and I recommend that, the only downside to that application is its reporting module, very weak compared to other applications. Overall though its a solid product.

4. raymondu999 thread starter macrumors 65816

I only need to do very light personal budgeting and expense tracking... not much in other terms. Any recommendations?

5. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

Mint.com is free and has these features. It's biggest drawback is that you can't manually enter transactions. All transactions must be pulled from your online accounts. They are promising to add this feature in the future.

6. DesignerOnMac macrumors 6502a

DesignerOnMac

Might want to check this out: http://www.surprisesoftware.com/mycheckbook/

7. pokeyjoe macrumors newbie

You can use excel and a free checking macro, I believe.

8. ValL macrumors newbie

If you're looking for good budgeting features - I'd recommend MoneyWell and now YNAB 3 which works on the Mac. They're both envelope budgeting programs which is great for allocating your income to expense categories before you start spending. Helps you save more, faster. They both offer free trials.

9. harrinp1 macrumors member

I am also currently looking for a personal finance App and going through and tyring out some of the trials.

I didn't like YNAB3 as it's not a native app, MoneyWell looks okay but I still need to get some more data in.

I am (currently) more interested in just archiving details of my credit car and bank statements rather than budgeting so don't know which app would suit me best. YNAB3 advised against importing historical data.

This link may be of use to some people looking at the different options:

http://personalfinancesoftwarereviews.com/compare-personal-finance-software/

10. jeremyisweary macrumors member

jeremyisweary

Mint.com is awesome. It's perfect for people that are lazy when it comes to bookkeeping like me. Plus, the iPhone app is pretty good. The notifications make me guilty every time I overspend in a budget category.

I went ahead and used Fluid to make a Mint.com app for my desktop. :D

11. happygareth macrumors newbie

I use Moneywell for my accounting needs. Admittedly this is limited to simple account tracking and budgeting but I find it easy to use and the software seems quite solid. It supports direct connect banking with a considerable list of institutions, unfortunately mine isn't included but still takes me less than a minute to get my monthly transactions in the system. I also have multiple accounts being tracked in the app.

12. Whorehay macrumors 6502a

Whorehay

i have never gotten macros to work in office 2008 for mac.

13. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's because Office 2008 doesn't support macros.

14. Whorehay macrumors 6502a

Whorehay

that was my point ;)

15. boston04and07 macrumors 65816

boston04and07

+1, Mint is awesome. I have a Fluid app for it as well and it works just as well (if not better) than many desktop-only applications I've tried. And yeah, it definitely does a good job of making you feel guilty when you overspend a budget!

16. Dizzler macrumors regular

For years I have been using Managing Your Money, a very old orphaned app from some outfit named Meca. The original came on floppies! It's still the best I have found because it's very simple to use, but, in order to run it, I have to drag out my old PowerTower Pro 225 with Mac OS 9.1 on it. Too bad they never upgraded the software. I still use it but need something newer.