Simple photoshop question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by wakerider017, Nov 3, 2008.

1. wakerider017 macrumors 68000

wakerider017

Occasionally I will save something I am working on in Photoshop as a .jpg.

My default app to open .jpg is preview but these files open with Photoshop anyway.

I realize you can right click on the file and change what it opens with, but I don't want to do this with every .jpg I save from Photoshop.

Is there anyway to get it to open from Preview from the start? Thanks!

2. G-Com macrumors regular

CTRL+Click
    Go to "Get Info"
    Click "Open With..."
    Select "Preview" in the dropdown menu
    Click Change All

:)

3. wakerider017 thread starter macrumors 68000

wakerider017

ya that will work for all current files, but next time I go to save something in photoshop it will still want to open with photoshop and not preview.

Not practical to do this every time I create a jpg in PS

4. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

well you saved it with Photoshop so its going to open in Photoshop. either save it in Preview or right click -> Open With -> Preview every time.

5. G-Com macrumors regular

Then just do it for selected files.

Highlight it and press CMD+I, click "Open With...", and then select "Preview" in the dropdown menu and don't click "Change All."

Preview is limited. It's your computer, but if you're wanting to see what image is in a particular image file, highlight said file and bow to Mr. Spacebar.

:cool:

And here's a tip: highlight the first image in the pictures folder, hit the spacebar, and use the down and up arrow keys to scroll through them quickly.

6. wakerider017 thread starter macrumors 68000

wakerider017

Preview has no editing power.

But I don't need PS power to look at a photo. And PS takes to log to load.

So I would like to use preview as a viewer. But I guess this cant be done.

7. macsteps macrumors newbie

macsteps

This is how I think this works:

Finder uses data separate from the file itself to determine which application to open it with by default. You can change that via Get Info, but each time Photoshop exports a file, it sets the application entry to Photoshop. The file extension (i.e. jpg) is only used, if this additional data isn't there (i.e. files from file systems that don't support the extended information).

8. cawesjmu macrumors 6502

Automator?

I wonder if you could get Automator to help you do the "get info->open with..." Make it run every so often and find all the new .jpgs on your desktop and make them open with preview. Not really sure how to write that up, I'm just guessing. If that doesn't work, just skip Preview all together and use space bar like G-Com said.

9. cookiebunny macrumors newbie

On the Mac, files can have types and creators. You can have a jpeg-type file that is associated with Photoshop, and another that is associated with Preview.

If you save a file from Photoshop, the file will remember that Photoshop is its creator, and will open with Ps unless you change it yourself.

If you just want to quickly view an image, use QuickLook.

10. samwich macrumors regular

you can click and drag the image to the preview app on your dock