Simple PHP script question

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by carlosbutler, Mar 21, 2009.

1. carlosbutler macrumors 6502a

carlosbutler

I am trying to do some PHP and one thing im trying is to do a site with multiple languages.

One small part is this below (i just reduced it so that is sort of works, but with the error part in it):

in the switch section, i am trying to get it so that the page changes with the variable $lan, but i can seem to make it work. the switch cases work fine, but i can seem to get the language part to work. if you notice there is english in the if.... and spanish for the else.... it always goes to spanish. i have tried by also declaring the variable and doing $lan=='gb' and $lan=='es' and that way it will work. but when typing in the address bar www....file.php?page=destinations&lan=uk
    (or es) it doesnt seem to change

any help thanks!
    carlos

2. kungfu macrumors regular

unless the server has register globals enabled (which it shouldn't) -- you need to define $lan. ie,

if ($_GET['lan']) $lan = $_GET['lan']; else $lan = 'gb';

3. carlosbutler thread starter macrumors 6502a

carlosbutler

so does this need to be done for anything of this type. as you may have guessed, i have literally just started off PHP today:p

4. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

You'll also want to make sure $page is defined outside the if..else statements to ensure that it has the proper scope for the switch statement.

PHP:
    // Making sure that a page is selected
    $page 'abc';
    if (isset(
    $_GET['page'])) {

$page $_GET['page'];
    }
    And as kungfu was trying to say, you need to define what $lan is. Currently it's never set equal to anything so your if statement is comparing against null/undefined.

5. carlosbutler thread starter macrumors 6502a

carlosbutler