Simple point and shoot digicam

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by kinkster, Aug 20, 2009.

1. kinkster macrumors 6502a

I haven't bought a digicam in years. Seems like they've made allot of advances in the last couple of years.

Anyhow I'm looking for a new one. Only things I need really:
    $120 or under
    Pretty good picture quality
    SD card slot

2. AMessy macrumors member

I always check out www.dpreview.com when i'm looking for a new camera just to get a feel for what's out there and what's upcoming.

Also i've always had good luck with Olympus, but i know there are a lot of good cameras out there these days.

3. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

I've got the Canon PowerShot A720 IS. It's 8 MP. Last I checked it was around $150, though they've probably come down. Should suit you perfectly.

4. kinkster thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm looking for something a bit cheaper and more portable.

Any other recommendations?

5. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

Not really. Any more portable, and you'll be getting too expensive, any less expensive, and you'll be getting too low a MP image sensor.

Did you actually look at the price on the PowerShot at a place like Abe's of Maine? I haven't check since lat Christmas, so it could be cheaper.

6. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

7. LAS.mac macrumors 6502

I have a Kodak 5 Mp that I bought 2 years or more ago. Always worked fine.
    I just saw the Costco web page, they have a similar one, now at 10 Mp, for 99.99. http://www.costco.com/Browse/Produc...1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&ec=BC-EC10604-Cat83&topnav=

The market if full of such cameras. For point and shot, I always buy between the cheapest ones available. Ther are too man models. And, to me, they don't last more than 1-2 years (they break as soon as the warranty expires...).
    Just one advice: avoid those with no-rechargeable batteries. And those without optical zoom (there are still some).

8. kenobe23 macrumors member

I have this camera too, and it's excellent. It takes consistently high quality pictures, and it uses AA batteries, which is a big advantage for a point and shoot IMO. You can use rechargeables most of the time, but if they die while you're on a trip you can replace them with regular AAs, available anywhere. Can't do that with proprietary batteries. This camera also has image stabilization, which is indispensable (IMO) and a decent optical zoom.