All iPads Simple poll - if you chose today, would you get iPad Mini or Air?

Would you pick equivalent iPad Air or Mini if choosing today?

• iPad Air

Votes: 73 58.4%
  • iPad Mini

Votes: 52 41.6%

• Total voters

iPhone7ate9

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 22, 2014
Assuming they had the EXACT equivalent performance (meaning specs might change but performance stays the same), which would you pick? I guess this would be about size mostly. Please try to keep price out of the equation as much as possible.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
An Air as i've owned all of them. It's just the best compromise as the Air is somewhat smaller and lighter than the previous full size iPad. Webpages look better on the bigger screen and I find i'm zooming in a lot less on the Air. The rMini has a nice screen but the 1st gen Mini's screen is quite disappointing to put it mildly.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Assuming they had the EXACT equivalent performance (meaning specs might change but performance stays the same), which would you pick? I guess this would be about size mostly. Please try to keep price out of the equation as much as possible.
The Mini. I like the size of it better than the 9.7" one. I was using an iPad 4 for a few minutes earlier and the screen seemed way too big to me, and I used to have an iPad 3 before the Mini last year.

AX338

macrumors regular
Dec 20, 2013
London
Now I have a phone with a 5"+ screen there is no point getting an iPad mini, and I did enjoy owning one when I had the iP5.

so if I was to get an iPad now it would be the bigger one with a maximum capacity but wifi only.

SHirsch999

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2011
If I were to get one today I would go for an air since I already have a retina mini (that I intend to keep).

jm5309

macrumors regular
Apr 17, 2010
Air. I'm waiting for the new ones. I've had iPads since the first generation. Been using a mini then rMini for nearly two years now. I'm ready for a bigger screen again.

kevink2

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2008
I read several magazines on the iPad, so the bigger is better. Not like it is huge anyway.

I have an e-ink nook anyway for reading books. Without something that size, I would probably have the Mini.

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area
The mini hands down, for me. I have both. The mini is what is in my hands right now. It's the one I prefer to use. The Air has its uses but is not as convenient to use as the mini.

rui no onna

macrumors G3
Oct 25, 2013
The retina Mini for me but only because I already have a 9.7" iPad 4. If I didn't already have a big iPad, I'll go for the iPad Air.

Breaking Good

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2012
A simple question, but I don't think the answer is simple as not every one uses technology the same way.

This is just me, but I would like to try to keep my screen sizes (smartphone, tablet, ultrabook/notebook/laptop) as evenly spaced as possible.

I like the idea of figuring out the computing device that I think I will use the most and then try to space the other two devices as evenly around that as possible.

Mackinjosh

Suspended
Aug 21, 2014
Mini. I see no point in big tablets. If I'm going to use a screen that big, it's going to be attached to a device that has an actual functioning OS.

kazmac

macrumors G3
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
Air, unless they fix the gamut issues with the Mini.

I'm a stickler for color and really noticed the gamut issues on the retina Mini.

Regardless, it looks like I'll just go with an Air 2 this time. I just hope Apple doesn't get rid of the 32gb option like they did with the iP6. I constantly change what movies, music and comics are on my iPad and 32gb was just fine for me.

addictzz

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012
It's been a difficult question that made me missed buying iPad last year. I just can't decide between the 2 since they are practically just differ in size only.

Based on ease of use, I would pick iPad Mini. It's smaller, lighter, thus more portable. I can hold it in 1 hand and that is a big convenience when I browse or read using it (my definition of holding in 1 hand is when you're able to extend your thumb and other fingers from one end to another). It's also cheaper.

For productivity though, iPad Air wins hands down. I just can't bear using Numbers, Keynotes, and Pages in iPad Mini. Too small!

gtmac

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2010
Having both they are awesome the mini is great for home, in bed reading sitting on the couch where the air is perfect for work. I haven't use my MacBook Pro forever and don't even know what to do with it anymore.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.