Simple Problem Running Cam Into TV

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by nickyj182, Dec 15, 2014.

1. nickyj182 macrumors regular

nickyj182

I have a brand new Canon Vixia RF500. It has a mini HDMI out on it. It came with a cable, mini HDMI to regular hdmi, and when hooked up to the TV it'll show on the TV what the camcorder is looking at. I want to mount the cam in my garage far from my tv. I bought 100 ft hdmi, high speed, gold ends with speed boosters and the works. For my cam I got a mini hdmi to hdmi adapter and when I run the cord to the TV with adapter and 100 ft hdmi the TV shows nothing. Any ideas or solutions to what I'm doing wrong?

2. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

I would suggest a problem with one or more of those extras.

3. montgomeryr macrumors member

4. DemonMF777 macrumors member

DemonMF777

check the direction of your HDMI cable. Some of them have to be installed in a certain way... Cam <--(source)----------(monitor)--> TV

5. ColdCase macrumors 68030

^^^^ This is usually the problem. Make sure the Cam is on the source end of the cable. Most of these long cables are one way and you get nothing trying to push a signal down the wrong way.

6. HobeSoundDarryl, Dec 15, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2014

HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 603

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    OP, consider a different setup to show what's in your garage on your television. You're asking a lot of HDMI to pipe it that far. And that camera is a camcorder that is probably rarely used as you're trying to use it.

If this is some kind of one off thing- like you're trying to shoot some kind of mechanics video and want to use your TV as a monitor- consider moving the TV closer to the garage until you complete the shoot. Or shoot the scenes in camcorder mode and then take the camera to the TV to proof them.

If this is some kind of ongoing thing- where you want to regularly monitor the garage for security or similar reasons- there are many other home security options that will pipe video via wifi or ethernet over upwards of great distances. HDMI is not really intended for long runs. Consider seeking alternatives that are made to do what you are trying to do. Go to Amazon and search for "HD Wireless Security Camera" for a plethora of cheap and no-so-cheap options.

If you just must get that setup working, eliminate the possibilities by testing each part. For example, if you have something with a regular HDMI port on it (like a BD player or a laptop), try the long cable by itself and see if the picture reaches the TV. If so, that will point to the mini hdmi adapter (but only in how it works with the long cable since you already know it will work if attaching the camera directly to the TV).

Good luck!

7. ColdCase macrumors 68030

One would have to spend a lot of $$$ to get the same quality video via a wireless security type camera. The OP already has a camera and cable he can use.

We use long HDMI cable runs to record or watch wildlife (high quality), but then that is not the only purpose that we use those cameras for. Internal camera memory/tape is not sufficient capacity. Its an inexpensive way to reuse older cameras one may have laying around. But for security purposes, and starting from scratch, there may be better solutions.

8. HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 603

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    No, not a lot of money. There are very cheap HD cameras that can be used (unless prices < $100 is "a lot of money").

Sure OP already has a camcorder but I wouldn't want to leave my HD camcorder in the garage while being 100 feet away in the living room. Is this a temporary thing (watching for someone/thing breaking into the garage?) or some kind of one-off shoot (watch as I teach you how to change your spark plugs)? I don't know. What I do know is that HDMI is not really meant for long runs (even though long-run cables exist).

If it's some kind of one-off video shoot, it's unclear why he wants to "mount the camera" and pipe the video the TV (why not just shoot and then carry the camera to the TV to watch it there)? That makes me think he wants it to be there for a longer span of time. If so, maybe a cheap dedicated camera made to transport HD over long distances might be the better way to go.