simple Q, hard to find answer. replacing MBP HD?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by fuziwuzi, Feb 8, 2008.

1. fuziwuzi macrumors regular

hey

i have been searching the net for an hour or so, and seem to be chasing my tail for an answer. i feel a bit defeated that i cannot find the answer :confused:

all i want to know is, can i upgrade the harddrive in a macbook pro without voiding the warranty?

i read you can change anything that is considered user upgradeable. but no mention of what is consider user upgradable on different models.

cheers

fuz

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Yes, however you won't be covered for damage you cause while doing so.

"This warranty does not apply … to damage caused by service (including upgrades and expansions) performed by anyone who is not a representative of Apple or an Apple Authorised Service Provider"

However I advise that you check the specific warranty document for your country in case they vary.

3. georgeoommen macrumors regular

This is technically true, but the problem is that the judge of whether the damage was caused by the user or not is the apple genius or the apple rep you send it to. How much ever arguing you do with them usually doesn't help. If you upgrade the HDD on an MBP, then be prepared for the warranty being void. If you're not prepared for that eventuality then either don't do it or pay the extra and get an apple genius to do it for you.

4. fuziwuzi thread starter macrumors regular

thanks george. i am getting the 3year extended apple care. therefore my desire to keep my warranty is foremost. i have a mate who works for an apple shop. he said he would do it :D

5. dziewuliz macrumors member

I myself got a question regarding warranty policy. I just had my faulty Seagate HDD replaced, but the warranty status of my macbook doesn't seem to be updated on the apple site. So does it mean, they could be changing hard drives every now and then, before the warranty runs out? :)

6. michaelsviews macrumors 65816

Hey Fuzi

I went through the same thing, what I found out was that OWC, Macsales does sell and install / replace HD's and charges 80 dollars and its usually done the same day your system arrives. NOW the catcher is and this is from the local Apple store , is that it does void the entire warranty, but in the same store and at the genius desk they said it would just void the HD warranty and not the rest of the computer.

Take it for what its worth too you but said the heck with it as I am looking to sell my MBP.

BOL
    Michael