Simple question about applescripting a terminal command

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by sitryd, Sep 19, 2007.

1. sitryd macrumors member

Hey all,

I'm assuming this is a simple question, but I can't find any good documentation online on it.... I'm trying to write an applescript to automatically back up a copy of my notes for classes to a flash drive whenever its plugged in. The problem is that the directory path for the source file has a space in it, and Applescript is bouncing back an error "Expected “"” but found unknown token."

Here's the relevant portion of the script:

ignoring application responses
    tell application "Terminal"
    activate
    do shell script "rsync -a /Users/Sitryd/Documents/07-08 2L/\ Constitutional\ Law/Constitutional\ Law\ Notes.doc /Volumes/Backups/"
    end tell
    end ignoring

It's hiccuping right after the \ in the "07-08 2L/\" sequence (i.e. at the first space), but I can't figure out how to have applescript just pass that sequence normally to terminal.

Thanks!

2. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    anytime you want to put quotes inside an applescript string you have to put a backslash (\") first. If you want to put an actual backslash in the string you have to put a backslash in front of it. (\\)

other useful ones

\r --> return
    \t --> tab
    \n --> newline

3. sitryd thread starter macrumors member

Hmm think i wasnt very clear with my question. I dont actually want to have the \ or a quote in the script. From what I've read the " marks are necessary for the rsync command (i.e. send "rsyc -a /Source /Destination" to the terminal).

The actual source is /Users/Sitryd/Documents/07-08 2L/Constitutional Law/Constitutional Law Notes.doc . To tell the terminal to preserve the spaces in the sourcepath, I had to put the "\"s in, leaving /Users/Sitryd/Documents/07-08 2L/\ Constitutional\ Law/Constitutional\ Law\ Notes.doc /Volumes/Backups/.

This leaves the script as:

activate
    do script "rsync -a /Users/Sitryd/Documents/07-08\ 2L/\ Constitutional\ Law/Constitutional\ Law\ Notes.doc /Volumes/Backups/"
    end tell
    end ignoring

Yet rather than treating the portion within the quotation marks as a single command to send to the terminal, applescript is hitting the first space and giving an error. I seem to need the quotes, since without them it comes back with an "expected end of line" error.

Thanks in advance!

4. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    Like having to put the \ in front of the space to get terminal to preserve the space in the file name you have to put a \ in front of the \ to make Applescript realize that you want to have a \ in the string that the shell needs to see the file.

what you need is
    Code:
            activate
            do script "rsync -a /Users/Sitryd/Documents/07-08\\ 2L/\\ Constitutional\\ Law/Constitutional\\ Law\\ Notes.doc /Volumes/Backups/"
        end tell
    end ignoring

or

Code:
            activate
            do script "rsync -a \"/Users/Sitryd/Documents/07-08 2L/ Constitutional Law/Constitutional Law Notes.doc\" /Volumes/Backups/"
        end tell
    end ignoring

or perhaps most simply

Code:
            activate
            do script "rsync -a '/Users/Sitryd/Documents/07-08 2L/ Constitutional Law/Constitutional Law Notes.doc' /Volumes/Backups/"
        end tell
    end ignoring

You should also look into do shell script in the standard additions.

5. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Shouldn't that be "do shell script ...". The rest looks fine. Your original post looked like it didn't have the "\ " between 08 and 2L, which would have been giving you issues. I'd try this out, but I don't have those specific folders of course.

6. pepeleuepe macrumors 6502

I just setup rsync last night and had a similar problem. I ended up using the "quoted form of" command in applescript to solve my specific problem. I think it might work for you as well.

Check out this little tutorial: http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/mac/2005/07/22/backup.html?page=2

or give this a shot:

Code:
    do shell script "rsync -a " & quoted form of "/Users/Sitryd/Documents/07-08 2L/ Constitutional Law/Constitutional Law Notes.doc" & " /Volumes/Backups/"