Simple question about macbook ram purchase

timberford

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2006
Will this ram work in my macbook ?

I wanna upgrade to 2gb.

If you have a link to a UK supplier where I can get a better deal, do post!

Thanks.

timberford

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2006
i appreciate these links pointing me to spec.

i have been looking at the one on the apple developer website and according to that i need...

DDR2 667MHz (PC2-5300) SDRAM SO-DIMM unbuffered, unregistered, 8-byte, nonparity, and non-ECC.

On the product spec for the ram i'm looking at I can't see anything about nonparity, unregistered or 8-byte... i'm not even sure what they mean! :confused:

frankblundt

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2005
South of the border
i'd email them and ask. We don't have CanadaRAM here any more to provide authoritative answers on this subject. They one you're looking at also says PC5300 as opposed to PC2-5300 - i have no idea what difference this makes if any... :eek:

Sometimes it's just less heartache to go with a supplier that guarantees it, even if you pay a little more. I'm sure CanadaRAM said something somewhere that there are subtle differences even within manufacturers, which is why Crucial frinstance, sells Mac guaranteed RAM and non-Mac guaranteed.

I've used second-hand generic brand PC RAM in the past and not had problems (that i'm aware of at least) with it in G3s, but maybe i'm just a tin-arse.

saga

macrumors regular
May 19, 2006
timberford said:
Will this ram work in my macbook ?

I wanna upgrade to 2gb.

If you have a link to a UK supplier where I can get a better deal, do post!

Thanks.

Just this evening I purchased and installed the exact memory from your link into my macbook. Everything is A OK. My book recognized it, and is running very well.