Simple question about partitioning

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Kahnyl, Sep 24, 2011.

1. Kahnyl macrumors 68000

Is it possible to create a partition, then install Lion on it, and, from that new partition, delete the original one?

2. Goober0311 macrumors member

good question? While we are on that topic, I did a time machine on an external before installing Lion. Can I plug that external in and do another time machine or will it over write my Snow Leopard. I am asking will I lose SL if I do another TM back up on the same external. Not trying to high jack your thread Kahnyl.

3. saulinpa macrumors 6502

Yes. Been there. Done that. I don't remember for sure but I think it deleted the Recovery HD as well.

4. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

The recovery partition is hidden so you must have done more than a simple partition manipulation .

5. saulinpa, Sep 24, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2011

saulinpa macrumors 6502

Lion's Disk Utility tries to make it easy but here's the sequence that I think fails.

1 - Normal install of Lion on drive creates Recovery HD
    2 - Split Lion partion in two - DU moves Recovery HD between visible partitions.
    3 - Install Lion on 2nd partition - it doesn't create a Recovery HD since one already exists on drive.
    4 - Delete 1st partition - DU removes Recovery HD as well.

I will give it a try and report back.

----update---- Tried it and installing Lion in 2nd partition does create a second Recovery HD. So deleting the 1st partition also deletes the corresponding Recovery HD so leaves the 2nd one fine. Then creating a new first partition and then copying the 2nd Lion to it also recreates a Recovery HD for it. Apple did a good job on this and covered all of the bases. I must have screwed up something else the last time I tried this.

----------

Both Lion and SL are supposed to ask before doing anything with an existing TM backup. Just to be sure you can re-name your Mac which will force it to save to a different directory leaving the existing alone.

6. Goober0311 macrumors member