Simple question about saving mp3 files to play on ipad

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by marktheharp, Nov 17, 2013.

1. marktheharp, Nov 17, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2013

marktheharp macrumors newbie

I am creating a web page of mp3s which will be freely available to use for people who work with special needs children and I want people to be able to play them from these web pages (which the ipad / ipod can do - so no problems there).

However - and please please tell me I'm wrong!! - I want them to be able to play these mp3s (ie save them locally from the web page) for when there's no web connection available. Nothing complicated, just that.

Please tell me I'm missing something obvious. There must be a simple way to do this that I've overlooked. But I can't find a "save mp3" function anywhere.

Thanks in advance - and I've worked with computers and web sites for many many years so I'm not new to this. It's functionality that I've always just expected to be there. There must be something very basic I'm not seeing.

2. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Unfortunately, the only way to get mp3 files into the iPad Music player is by syncing them from iTunes or buying them from the iTunes Store.

In order to save them locally, people need to have apps on their iPad that can save files locally. There are plenty of apps that do that, the most well-known one is probably GoodReader.

I think you could probably set them up as podcasts, and have people download them into their podcast app, but I don't know how to do that, or how hard that is to set up.

3. marktheharp thread starter macrumors newbie

@Night Spring Thank you - I've had a good look around the web and unfortunately you're right I think.

I do have a CD on iTunes but of course that's not instantly available, and I've looked at Podcasts now (and yes, that's probably a good way of doing it as people will become aware of the music as it's available).

For this use, I just wanted people to be able to go to our web page and listen / save the ones they liked - annoying when you're doing creative work and want people to have immediate access. Anything that involves a separate app is likely to meet with a lot of resistance with this audience, so we may go down the route of getting non-Apple devices unless Apple can sort this in Safari (I won't hold my breath).

I love my iPods and iPads but I'm really shocked by this lack of functionality. But thank you for your helpful reply.

4. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I suspect it's to appease the recording industry, since if this functionality was avaiable, it would be so easy for people to download pirated music to their iPads. Unfortunately, that makes it difficult for people like yourself who do want to freely distribute your work. :(