Simple question about the Mac I can't figure out

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Suno, Oct 27, 2012.

1. Suno macrumors 6502

Suno

So I got my first MBP and I'm transitioning from a lifetime of Windows usage to the Mac OS. It's a little rough and I'm a little confused on a few things.

1. For starters, what's the difference between the launchpad and the desktop? Why are certain apps designated for Launchpad while others (coconutbattery and appcleaner) can't be placed in there? So far, this has been the biggest source of confusion for me -- The managing of Launchpad, desktop, and the dock.

2. What's the difference between downloading an app online (i.e., coconutbattery online) as opposed to downloading something off of the appstore? Do appstore apps download to a different place on the computer or something?

3. What would be the "My Computers" equivalent to the Mac? In other words, how can I get to the Mac equivalent of C:\Program Files\ or C:\System32?

4. Is there anyway to swap the Apple/command key with the control key? I'm used to Ctrl + C (and other Ctrl commands) as opposed to the awkward hand positioning for Command + C.

5. Is there a website with a simple chart that shows the Apple equivalent shortcut to Windows shortcut? For example, Ctrl + Alt + Del/ESC is more or less Command + Option + ESC for the Mac, as well as F5 on Windows is Command + R.

2. trikky, Oct 27, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2012

trikky macrumors regular

It would be quite simple for me or others to provide you with the answers to the questions you're looking for, I would suggest it would be more beneficial for you to do the research yourself. That would help you learn a lot faster and retain the information better.

Google is your friend, and if you simply paste your questions into google you'd be amazed at what comes up. I entered the first sentence of Q4 and got some really good results.

As for Q3, I can tell you've not done any exploration on your computer's hard drive :). If you had, your answer would be staring you in the face. Poke around a bit. Have fun seeing what you can discover.

Enjoy!

3. marsmissions macrumors 6502

marsmissions

Don't listen to trikky. Worst reply ever.

The system equivalent of program files is /applications its in the finder sidebar.

Also, just get used to the command key, it's really not that hard.

Launchpad should be finding all your apps, but make sure you place them in /applications to be safe.

If you have a new Mac, it may not be seeing all the apps because of spotlight indexing.

4. Rhinoevans macrumors 6502

That wasn't a lot of help. I picked up my MB103 yesterday and basically had the same questions. I came to this forum for some answers, and told to use Google. Thanks

Guess I will not ask my question!:):):)

But, just typed my question into google and there it was. When I do it, I learn, when its on the forum, everybody learns.

5. tillsbury macrumors 65816

Hey, we're not all like that. Some of understand that Google often produces a whole lot of useless information.

I'm in a similar position to you (or was, when I got mine in June/July). It's a bit weird, but you'll soon get some of the hang of it.

WRT Launchpad, I have no idea. It appears to be a nonsensical bit of fluff stuck on the side of OSX to make it sort of look like an ipad, but not. Apps are in Applications in the Finder, or if you use them regularly, shove them on your dock. I've not used the launchpad since the first week. Ditto with the other pretty things like the mission control and dashboard, just don't see the point.

Apps live in /applications, or should do. If you download them from the App Store they just go there. If you download a dmg file from the interweb the installer tends to open a window with the app and "Applications" showing, and you are supposed to drag the app there yourself.

Finder is rubbish, but you can sort it out a bit to help yourself. Don't forget that all the menu items for any program are at the top. In the Finder, go to preferences and select the things you want to be visible in the sidebar. Adding shared drives is under "Connect to server...". There is a "back" button but no "up" button, you have to use command-uparrow. I can't yet find a way to get the files to sort by name but with folders at the top -- it's a real pain having to dig through a whole bunch of files to find a folder you want, so you have to reorganise your files to attempt to keep them mostly at the end of the tree if you can.

With the others you've probably found what you're looking for by now...

6. trikky, Oct 27, 2012

trikky macrumors regular

There's an expression..."give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day. TEACH a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime". I'm so sorry that I dared to attempt to help someone help themselves in a more complete manner.

I gave specific clues to help the OP on his way, including referring to the first sentence of a specific question.

That's right. I suggested the OP post their question into a search engine and other people (yourself, for now) rapidly got an answer to their own question, based on my reply.

So apparently it was helpful, after all.

You're welcome.

7. trikky, Oct 27, 2012

trikky macrumors regular

Why? Encouraging people - in a polite way with even some pointers - to use what is likely the best (with some filtering) troubleshooting tool out there?

I would suggest that for a user that apparently doesn't know what their computer desktop is, telling them the answer to their problem is "<slash> something" isn't the most useful answer...since you're apparently so quick to rate answers. And really...what would be the "finder sidebar"? Hmm...if you're rating answers for their lack of helpfulness, there's another champ there. How does one get to the finder sidebar if they can't find their desktop? Where does one look for their finder, or the sidebar? You could easily find the answer to that question in Google, however.

A far more descriptive answer is possible, guiding them to where to look and how to access it. Of course, if they followed my suggestion and typed "mac equivalent of program files" into Google, well...not only do they get to know where they are, they also get other important tidbits. Oh, yeah...Suggesting someone post their question into Google really is the worst reply ever.

Hmm..."use Google, 'cos it's great" is bad, but "suck it up, princess..." is a good reply? Okay...

Thanks for the chuckle.

8. trikky macrumors regular

As can internet forums, unfortunately. You have to be able to separate the wheat from the chaff.

You were quick to criticise me, but with all due respect, your post is far from perfect.

Really useful info here. More helpful than Google, you reckon?

If your goal was to make things more confusing, you succeeded. Hoe does one access the Finder? What's the dock? Now the person you're claiming to help has to ask more questions. :confused:More helpful than Google?

An opinion, not really helpful to new users. I don't use Mission Control, but I have a number of applets in Dashboard, so it certainly has a purpose.

Okay, and for a new user, where or what is "/applications"? Google had it quite clear, example given above.

More techo terms. Whats a dmg file? Drag the app where? I think you get the idea.

More opinion, and great that you tell the person they can sort it out themselves...but how, exactly?

It's clear you tried to assist, but really, was your answer any more helpful than mine?

9. RussellJones macrumors member

i totally get what your saying, my mother always asks me how to do stuff and i show her, and the next day she asks again, but when she eventually gets there herself, she no longer asks. finding things out on your own makes you learn way better.

10. The Unseen macrumors member

The Unseen

2) A .dmg file is a "disk image" file, the same of a .iso file on Windows. It is a file that you can mount on the finder, like if you insert a dvd, or a pen drive in the Mac. If you download an app from outside of the app store, you'll have to double click the .dmg, an drag the app file contained in the dmg directly to the Applications folder. If the dmg contains an installer (file .pkg, icon like a box), double click it and follow instructions, just like a setup file you can download for windows.

3) On the Mac there is not "My computer"; you can set up the finder to show the main Hard Disk, external Hard Disks, DVD and similar, Network disks that appear only if present. To eject them, simply drag the desired item on the trash icon you can find in the dock, or right click on the disk and choose "eject".

The dock does not contain nothing, it shows some elements of your choice. Removing something from the dock doesn't remove nothing from the place where the item actually is (an app or a folder)

Hope this helps

11. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

So how do you think the first bits of information turned up on the internet? Obviously not by asking someone to go yahoo for it, but rather, by sharing what we know with others. :)

Anyways, macs have a "my computers" equivalent as well. It displays the HD icon on your desktop, where you can go in to interact with it.

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/setting-finder-preferences-in-mac-os-x.html

12. ctyhntr macrumors 6502

ctyhntr

Suno,

Your mac comes with 90 days of support. For $99, Apple also offers one on one training for a full year. Its worth its weight in gold. I bought it again when I bought my second MBP.

1. Dock is where you put your desktop shortcuts.

2. Appstore is a recent development that evolved from the iPhone. From my perspective, the main advantage is centralized billing for software purchases. Instead of visiting 3-5 places and ordering from different websites, billing for software is through apple.

3. Drives are referred to as Volumes. / is same as \

/Programs is C:\Program Files
    /System and /Library are is equivalent to C:\Windows
    /Users is equivalent C:\Users in Windows 7 and C:\Documents and Settings

4. Go into System Preferences (Control Panel), Keyboard.

5. http://***********/?q=mac+windows+shortcut+keys

13. Mrbobb macrumors 601

When you are in a Mac, start thinking like OSX. If u keep thinking how can I make this environment just like Windows, may as well run Windows!