Simple Question, do iTunes HD shows and movies work with 20" ACD well?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Gunga Din, Jan 6, 2009.

1. Gunga Din macrumors 6502

I've been trying for over a week to find someone with a 20" ACD that has downloaded HD TV shows or movies from iTunes.

Just want to know if it renders well on a 20" ACD. I ask this because the 23 and 30 inch have HD in their name and I'd like some feedback before I purchase anything :)

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

No HDTV shows available on iTunes are in 1080p. They're all 720p. So they won't even fill up a 20" at normal resolution.

3. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

They are all a horrifically compressed 720p too. If you're expecting Blu Ray quality, look elsewhere, namely... Blu Ray :p

Seriously, I think it's pretty stupid to call these shows HD, because their bitrate is nothing of the sort.

4. Gunga Din thread starter macrumors 6502

Yea, I remember someone saying they were all 720p before. I just wanted to make sure it would render well. I don't need the highest of quality, just good enough I wont be disappointed with my purchase.

Thanks

5. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

Yes, I have the 20-inch ACD. Calling the other displays "HD," just means how much resolution they have, for fitting things on the screen.

The picture quality will be as good on the 20-inch IF NOT BETTER because on the 20-inch it doesn't blow the picture up as large as on the 23 & 30s.

Yes, the HD videos will look really nice on the 20-inch ACD. Enjoy! :)

6. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

[​IMG]

The video is a TENTH of the bitrate of Blu Ray. I think that says it all.

7. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

As Gabriel Iglesias would say, DAAYYYYYYYYYUM. I had no idea about the bitrate comparison, although I do wonder if ALL Blu-ray Discs are like that. Both Chuck Season 1 and Smallville Season 7 can fit 7 episodes on a single disc. But then Lost Season 3 and 4 only does up to 5, maybe only 4. I know some DVD makers would cut down on the video quality to fit more stuff on a disc, so I wonder if BD makers do the same.

As far as the iTunes HD video quality, it's pretty good on a 20-inch screen. It's noticably better than SD but not ridiculously sharp like a Blu-ray Disc on a TV.

8. Gunga Din thread starter macrumors 6502

Has anyone noticed the bottome line flicker when playing some of these tv shows? When i'm in full screen, the top line is fine but the bottom line next to the black border appears unstable or flickers with onscreen movement. Did this on my MBP and ACD, reguardless of size.

9. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I only have a couple of HD episodes (they were free), but nope. I have noticed a black & white flicker at the top of some shows from Dish Network. I think that's from the TV not covering that part of the image up, but I could be wrong.

10. CBlakeston macrumors 6502

I've found iTunes HD to be amazing quality. It's totally wrong to compare a 4mb h.264 bitrate to an 8mg mpeg2 wrong. They are entirely different compression technologies. iTunes usually has free HD stuff to download at any given time so try it for yourself and see if you like the result.