Simple Question...HD or Proxy

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by joeysarks, Oct 11, 2012.

?

Proxy or HD?

1. I edit in HD

4 vote(s)
    80.0%
  2. I edit in Proxy

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. joeysarks macrumors regular

2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Sometimes yes, sometimes no and these days the proxy is most likely HD.

3. daybreak macrumors 6502a

Who are you asking? and why?.
    Also there are people who are new to editing and would not have a clue what you are on about.
    A little more constructive information would help for beginners and middle of the road people.:eek:

4. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

HD always without exception! But I have the machine for it.

5. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

HD.....I am honestly just uniformed and somewhat nervous about Proxy editing.....it makes sense since my machine is on the weak side but I guess Ill give it a test run with some video. One thing is for sure though, I will NEVER edit H.264 and always prefer using ProRes or other non-intensive CPU editing codecs...

Depends on your level! I've heard about productions that shoot on RED that use 1080p ProRes 422 (LT) as a Proxy...nooo way I can consider that a proxy, I think half resolution would work fine...I just have to make sure I try it out on a non-important project (of which I currently don't have, I DO have two that I need to finish however :O). But yeah If I was rocking a 12-core Mac Pro with my ideal 24gigs of RAM, SSD's lots of storage and all I'd probably be editing ProRes 422 LT at 1080p....considering I use that for my master codec for my tiny DSLR footage sometimes haha.

6. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

1080p24 at Pro Res Proxy resolution is only about 25% bigger (in terms of data rate) than DV. What's great about proxy editing these days (as opposed to using SD or even DVCPro of just a few years ago) is that we have options like Pro Res Proxy and Avid's DNxHD 36 which give us full raster, low-bit rate codecs that won't strain a machine like H.264 will. Being full raster is the best part, IMO, because any graphics you make or moves you do on the footage will translate perfectly from your full raster offline edit to your full raster online edit. If you aren't using a full raster proxy then all of your graphic elements and moves on the footage will all have to be redone (which sucks).

7. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

Hmm okay well I guess I just need to read up on Proxy editing...do I just replace the original ProRes Proxy files with my ProRes HQ files or what? I tried it out and was editing a 2K proxy (at 2K just a Proxy) and when I went to Render out it looked like the same crappy proxy and wouldn't let me change my project from ProRes Proxy to ProRes 4444 or 422 HQ...that would be a nightmare on a project that I get paid to do :O

8. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

There's different ways to do it but in FCP 7 it can be as straight forward as editing in full raster proxy files, knocking all the media offline once you've locked the edit, then reconnecting to the full quality files.

9. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

Yeah I knew how to do it in FCP 7 but I'm more competent in FCP X unfortunately . They changed it up allot, its probably "easier" just not what I know I guess. Ill dig through the help files for once in a couple of months (lol). I wish I could export project files and switch between FCP 7/FCS 3 and FCP X....would be MUCH easier especially since my boss uses FCP 7 and its sort of a pain saying "Yeah I'm gonna need that 150GB ProRes file....cant import the XML"