Simple question (sleep mode)

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by julianps, May 18, 2011.

1. julianps macrumors member

julianps

I've got a white macbook 4,1 (early 2008) c2d/2.1 ghz.

When I close the lid to almost shut the backlight does off as a precursor to sleep mode.

I can see no physical switch in the hinge/clutch assembly to operate this function and have found no reference to a cable or sensor on iFixit.

At the periphery of the machine there are the ports and battery connector at the back, sleep light and ir/receiver at the front, hdd connector and a small sticky thing on top of the optical drive (b/t antenna) on the right hand side. In the lid there are magnets, 2 (in other models, 3) wifi antennas, isight and microphone.

Something here must act as a trigger/de-trigger mechanism.

Does anyone know what it is, please?

Jules

2. thurstmw, May 18, 2011
    Last edited: May 19, 2011

thurstmw macrumors newbie

On the newer models the sleep sensor is attached to the ribbon cable which is attached to the front LED light. It is a magnetic sensor which reacts to a magnet in the bezel of the screen. I am not sure how the sensor is attached on your macbook but I know it is also reacting to a magnet in the bezel of the screen.

EDIT: It is connected to the battery connector

HERE

3. julianps thread starter macrumors member

julianps

Thanks for that

... yes; I guessed it was a Hall Effect switch.

I had assumed it would be under one of the two double magnet sets (probably above the IRDA/Sleep light in the b/r/h/ corner).

On mine it's the single magnet on the left-hand edge of the screen, that comes down onto the chassis between the audI/O & security slots.

In fact I passed the head of a slightly magentised screwdriver over the area and it went to sleep (and woke again) ... must be a bummer for arthritics who wear magnetic jewellery ... ;-)

Thanks again - Jules