Simple Question.

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by OscarAlert, Mar 4, 2008.

1. OscarAlert macrumors newbie

Hey guys
    Thinkin of gettin an iphone off ebay already unlocked at 1.1.3 or w.e it is.
    My question is when the iphone is released in canada over rogers....can i now upgrade my firmware once they have a new firmware out at that time for the phones in canada?

thanks everyone.

2. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

I'm guessing the lock is based on the IMEI of the phone.

If it's not, you'd need to get your hands on a SIM card with an iPhone specific contract to make it work anyway.

3. OscarAlert thread starter macrumors newbie

so if i do get the iphone....
    i know i cant upgrade the phone or else ill lose the abilty to use the rogers SIM, what im asking is when the iphone is avalible in canada can i then now update the phones firmware ?

4. igglepuff macrumors regular

probably not, you'd been to get it from 'em instead since its unlocked another way (i believe). also when/if it comes out on rogers it will most likely be the 3g version, so it woudl be diffrent firmware.

you can update yoru firmware now and re-unlock it, though. im on 1.1.4 (heh, well 113 with fixes:p) on rogers, it's a 1.1.2 OTB now with 3.8 bootloader, IPSF style unlock to withstand updates.. sofar

5. OscarAlert thread starter macrumors newbie

6. igglepuff macrumors regular

theres no guarantee rogers pick up the phone(though most likely would with 3g and apples retarded demands are lessened or soemthing? *shrug*). Also no guarantee as to when a 3g iphone will be released. It's really up to you to take the dive... i have one now on rogers and if a 3g is released (on them or not) once its possible to unlock i'll be picking one up most likely shortly after release