Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Siron

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 4, 2008
North Carolina
I'm a Mac newbie from Windoze (that I still use for gaming and some business apps). In Windows if I wanted to access my apps from the tray I simply created a shortcut and dragged it their. I see in Leopard that you can create an Alias which is I assume the same as a Shortcut. However I can Command drag the application icon (which puts a + sign next to the icon - indicating a copy function?) from the Applications folder. Does this do the same thing as creating an Alias or does it copy the whole application (taking up extra disk space).
I ask this because on some applications I cannot create an Alias. I have a folder on my dock in which I have added Aliases for Word, Excel, and Powerpoint. However I cannot create an Alias for Parallels as there this is not an option if I right click on its icon in Applications.
What's the right way of doing this?
Thanks
Alan

Morod

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2008
On The Nickel, over there....
If you're just trying to keep an application in the dock, open the application and right-click on its dock icon. Select "Keep In Dock" from the menu. Close the app and the icon will remain in the dock.
Morod

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.