Simple request for those with the magical "2nd batch"

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Ferris23, Jul 12, 2010.

1. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

Yeah, there is some sarcasm, but I have had my phone replaced twice (Once from Apple Care once in store) just to see if I could find one that didn't have the lower left seam issue. For the record I have been using my phone naturally since the 23rd and have no problems, I haven't dropped a single call, but I can sit in my house at times and recreate signal loss.

Oh well, I'm not fixated on it, I use my phone and it works. I also really freaking like it. I don't like Apple at the moment though, they are being really weird and douchey.

Anyway, this is important if Apple is fixing something, which IMO they are not.

I'd just like a small video of your phone, in an area that is weaker in signal like 2-3 bars, and your hand or finger covering the lower left seam for at least 1 minute. That's it.

Thanks.

:)

2. Bassir macrumors member

I bought my iPhone after July 4th weekend (they arrived that weekend) and it still has that issue.

3. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

psst ask for some nekkid pics of their wife or girlfriend while you are at it!

4. owmygulay macrumors member

Didn't get mine until July 6th. Still has that problem. When did this 2nd batch come out that you are talking about?

5. Ferris23 thread starter macrumors 68020

I can't believe I forgot to type that, was totally thinking it though.

(ex girlfriend and or ex wife pics and vids also acceptable)

;)

6. Ferris23 thread starter macrumors 68020

It didn't really, but at least once a day a poster comes here saying that they had their phone replaced and it's no problem free, they have no reception issues. "Must be a second batch"

I think there are obviously lemons out there, but I also think that at some point or another, ANY Iphone 4 will have a problem if you hold the lower left seam in a low signal area.

No biggy to me, but there are people saying that they simply can not recreate that issue and I don't buy it.

7. Ferris23 thread starter macrumors 68020

8. BadMoon macrumors 6502

Had mine replaced due to the camera color issues. The camera is fixed but I have the same signal problems. I also bought a bumper when I was at the apple store. Guess what? Same signal issues even WITH the bumper on. LOL! What a joke! "Buy a bumper."

9. JoJoCal19 macrumors 65816

JoJoCal19

I agree if testing is going to be done it needs to be somewhere where you start with no more than 4 bars, but preferably 3 bars. I don't get it when people get a new one and then immediately post "no signal issue" when they are sitting in an area with strong signal and 5 bars. It's well established if you have strong signal then you're not going to see bars drop.

10. dagomike macrumors 65816

11. bova80 macrumors 6502a

if you want a good test, just download the speedtest app and keep hold it on those antennas and see if it struggles to find a server or anything like that.

12. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I bought my phone before the July 4th weekend and it doesn't have the problem. So?

Done all the tests and in different locations with very low signal strength. Actually, sometimes the signal actually goes up when I touch the magic spot, but I assume that's just due to normal signal fluctuations. So, I'm happy with my phone. I've also not been able to find anyone personally that has the problem. Nothing to do with this, but I also find that my GPS can find me in my house now (I'm not talking about triangulating).

13. JoJoCal19 macrumors 65816

JoJoCal19

Can you take a vid of your phone in an area starting with 3 bars and applying the death grip and no bars dropping? Its a concensus it has to do with starting in a low signal area but if it's as you say you can start in a low signal area and not drop bars that would throw a monkey wrench into that idea.

14. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I "could" go to all the trouble of doing this, but from what I understand, no one is going to believe it, unless I also have an iPhone that doesn't work to show the difference. I simply don't know anyone that has this problem. I would suspect if I even had the second iPhone, they'd say I needed to go to such and such location and try it next or do it with 2 pairs of iPhones (or not believe me at all and want someone else to post a video). All I know is what I've seen with my own two eyes and using the same diagnostic tests that have been posted all over the place. I'm not a fanboy (PC or Apple products, I just get what's best for me at the time). I have no vested interest in the iPhone 4 doing well. I'd be the first to return mine if I had the reception issue.

IMO, there are a number of pied pipers, who make most of the posts stating there is a reception problem, and nothing is going to change their belief that all iPhone 4's have this problem. Even one poster stated it was better to have all the posts they could get (as long as they said the iPhone 4 had problems...wouldn't want any positive posts there), because that would make more noise and get Apple to do something. However, because of all the noise, it's almost impossible to tell how prevalent this issue even is. The media surely doesn't help. I don't even think they care what the truth is for most of their stories, as long as it grabs the headlines. Sorry for being off-topic somewhat in my last point with my general disgust at what the media has become.

Like anything the media is prone to report, this story has meat, because it shows the "magical" device having issues and the reporters love it, since it helps the ratings, helps get clicks to blogs, etc. One of these days, maybe we'll actually know the real story, who knows. I definitely haven't seen anyone returning an iPhone 4 (doesn't mean they're not, but I haven't seen it). You'd think with all the media attention they could show us long lines of people returning the phone, wouldn't you? I mean, over a million sold (more like 2 million) would imply if even 10% have the problem, we'd see 100's of thousands returning them. Show that, media. Can't? **** then.

All that being said, it's disappointing to see Apple's non-responsiveness. That's probably the worst thing they've done through all this. That and the only responses being Jobs' emails and one letter, which would have been better not sent or written.